<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, August 28, 2006

A GENTLE GIANT..... 

Normally we do not think of gentleness when we think of strength. Rocky holds World and American records for his weightlifting achievements and is never lacking when it comes to big, hard jobs at home. I depend on his strength when I come to the end of mine. I can always call on him and he never fails me. I love him for many different reasons but high on the list is the fact he is also a gentle man.

Today he came in from the garage holding a hurt and frightened red female cardinal in his massive hand. His fingers closed around her frail little body in a protective way. Callie, Chevy and Lovey had all been in pursuit of her when Rocky happened along and was able to wrest her from their clutches. They had damaged her some but we hoped not beyond our help.

I love my kitties but I also love our birds. We feed them year round and enjoy the fresh hatches as the parents bring the newborns to our feeders. It is always a battle to keep them away from the cats who love to catch, toss and play with their prey. I’ve saved quite a few hapless little critters of different kinds and try to remember that cats are only being cats when they hunt. It never makes it easier when they have a victim.

Rocky and I had a discussion over what to do for the little cardinal and we decided first thing was for her to drink. He took her to the bird bath by our kitchen window and gently put her down in the water. She seemed to be in shock and Rocky stood there scooping water up in his hand to her but she was not able to drink. She seemed to relax as he washed the warm water over her and she turned her head a little as he continued. The feeder was close by with a large landing on it and he placed her there, safely higher so the cats wouldn’t find her.

He came in to get a small dish filled with water and we watched as she sat there with the soft breeze blowing her feathers. She seemed to gain strength after some time and she went to the other side of the feeder. Other birds came and went and we watched to see her reaction and also to make sure that they didn’t peck her as they do sometimes when one is hurt.

After a while we went back to what we were doing and when I thought to look again she was gone. At first, my eyes searched eagerly for the sight of her on the ground, and not seeing her I then looked at the fence-line and into the bushes. She was no where to be seen. Rocky went out and walked around……there were no cats and no sign of the little cardinal.

I would like to say we saw her spread her wings and fly away but we didn’t. Sometimes those fulfilling moments aren’t meant for us to have…..but somewhere out there I believe she will live out her destiny…..given to her by my gentle giant.

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther