<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, August 21, 2006

COOLER, AT LAST..... 

We woke to cloudy skies and much cooler temps this morning. After breakfast we went outside and worked in the yard till we ran out of steam somewhere past noon. It was such a pleasure to be able to work without contending with the heat and actually be able to get to some of the Fall pruning that needs to be done. I’m starting on the crepe myrtles who are still blooming but if pruned, they will bloom until frost.

The outside kitties love it when yard day comes around. They like to hop in and out of the wheel-barrow and jump in and out of the clippings that fall under the trees and bushes. Callie, the oldest female, was a hungry stray that we took in when love won her over. She likes to show Chevy a thing or two once in a while and jumps on him to wrestle. Chevy is the little male who was sitting under a car at the Chevrolet Dealership here in town. We tried to catch him several times but he was too fast for us……he was finally caught by one of the mechanics who called us to pick him up. We knew it was just a matter of time that he would be run over on the busy street, or starve. The mechanic is soft-hearted like we are and didn’t want him to get hurt.

Lovey is usually the loner but got her name because she was so loving and grateful for a home. She’s the Blue Russian and during the day she stays to herself while Callie and Chevy stay close together. Chevy is the baby at two, Lovey is three and Callie is probably four or five. They are so much pleasure when I’m outside and provide many a laugh for me with their antics. Is there anything more playful and mischievous than kitties?

Speaking of cats, Tuffy is seemingly coming out of the long dark tunnel he’s been in lately. He had a terrible spell of vomiting over the weekend and by last night Rocky told me to give him some Pepto-Bismol since he even threw the medications up from the Vet. Rocky said they used to give it to their puppies when they had upset tummies. Tuffy took it pretty well and kept his food down last evening and so far today. That makes me very happy. If he can begin to get some of the nourishment from his food he will grow stronger. I really hope the little guy makes it. I’ve had him since 1994 when he was about six weeks old. He found me on one of my walks and made me take him home.

Morris, the elder statesman, is seven-teen plus and quite the old man. He lowers himself down to sleep very carefully……I think his hips have been painful for some time and he has lost much of his hearing……however, not to count him out. He has a fierce attachment to us and especially me. In the evening he will appear from nowhere to sit by my side or on my lap. He has a secret radar system that tells him the minute I sit down…..then here he comes with his eyes trained on me.

There are times I would like to just sit and ponder a while but I never slip one by him…….he knows when I’m available. If I’m knitting or reading a book he makes allowances for the space and clocks out to kitty dreamland. That is our special time together. He knows a lot about knitting and crochet too, for he has watched many a stitch go together at close range. I’m beginning to think I’ll go before he does…..he’s pretty resilient.

Sassy got her name for being a little sassy pot. She was a holy terror when she was young. Rocky brought her home with him as he found her crying and hurt in a weed patch. She apparently rode into town on a truck and burned her foot on the manifold exiting her transportation. She was about six weeks old, black and white and marked so beautifully. She was spoiled immediately because of her injury and then because she was so cute.

Since Mandy came to our house, Sassy has calmed down a bunch. She used to follow me everywhere in the house but now Mandy does that so Sassy concentrates on Mandy to see what “she’s” up to. After several months of keeping their distance, the cats have pretty well accepted Mandy and they stroll the house together and enjoy many of the same pastimes together.

Monday is pretty well over by mid-afternoon so I’m going to wind up some little chores and think about something for supper. Rocky is doing very well and we are so glad he continues to respond to the medications. Peace reins supreme at our house for the time being and we hope the same for you and yours. School has started here and things are beginning to look like Fall, one of my favorite things……...

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther