<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, July 28, 2006

MRS. CLEAN..... 

I am glad to report that my colonoscopy came out fine today and I got a clean bill of health. Boy!! When I say “clean”……I’m not kidding. For all of you who have gone through the procedure you know what I mean. By the time you down a gallon of Golytely you’re about as clean as you’re ever going to be on this earth.

That pretty well took the day yesterday. My fun began at noon with four cute little pills….then another pill at six o’clock. One half hour after that came the drinking binge which lasted three hours at one cup every ten minutes.

Oh alright!! I know I don’t have to draw a picture for you…..but I’m usually the one sitting by the edge of the bed when someone in the family is undergoing medical procedures of some kind and lately, some pretty serious surgeries. So when I go for my colonoscopy every five years I think it’s a big deal. Becky and I have gone together for years and years to have our physicals. It was/is required by the Highway Patrol and since retiring I’ve kept the habit. I’m a great believer in preventive medical practice. Early detection is the best advocate to nip something in the bud.

Dr. Miller has always been the one I go to and he is excellent. This year there were changes. He has moved to another huge medical complex from the Cox South Hospital. The more serious needs are taken care of back at the hospital while the Outpatient needs are taken care of at the new building.

The prep is done differently now. A nurse does all the vitals in the entry room and asks a cazillion questions…..then you receive an I.V port there before going to the surgical area. It’s all very chatty and upbeat……I guess that’s the bonus for being up half the night gorging on your gallon of prep stuff and being without food for what seemed like a week. I am not a candidate for a hunger strike. It just would not happen with me….I don’t like missing meals at all. Then we had to be up by four-thirty to leave by five-thirty to drive the 80-miles to the Clinic. (Does this sound ‘whiney’ to you?) It does to me………..

Well, soon it was all over, I didn’t know a thing and Rocky was there to take me to a great breakfast and a nice drive home. We got a wonderful rain which we were needing so bad…….I just can’t think of anything that could spoil the good day we had. Poor Becky is due for hers next month so we will be on hand to take her and we will repeat the journey.

Since this is Friday I know all of you will be finding fun of your own over the weekend so we wish you a good one and we’ll see you on Monday…..and may all of your drinking be your personal preference……

Until Monday,
Essentially Esther