<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

CHICKY KITTY..... 

I’m happy to report Becky’s kitty is feeling better. At least she felt like NOT going to her doctor. I went up to see how she was doing and even though she looked better I thought it wouldn’t hurt to take her out to the Vet and let them give her a shot of something to knock whatever it was that was bothering her.

Callie, my Calico cat decided to walk up with me and I thought this was going to be a problem. Chicky and Callie have had a long standing feud between territorial rights. Poor Chicky was run out of our yard more than once when she was looking for a hand-out. Callie was merciless and would run her clear back to Becky’s.

When Napoleon came along we called him “Chicky” to entice him to come eat. In the beginning of his visit we worried he would go hungry and made sure he ate at least in the morning and evening. It was funny at the time, because when we raised our voices in a “Chick, chick, chick” call she would stop what she was doing and run as hard as she could to Becky’s house where we fed Napoleon. She was a little vagabond stray and would come with silent meows all the way, opening her mouth with nothing coming out.

She and Napoleon had dibs on the bread, each thinking it was for them alone. Chicky soon earned her name because wherever we saw her in the neighbor’s pasture, she would come right to us when we were offering bread. She won our hearts with her survival instincts and courage. She was much smaller than my Callie and certainly smaller than the peacock…..still she made her place at Becky’s and no one could run her off. She set her limits on that yard and no one could come across the marginal line.

I picked her up and she looked much better today…..her runny nose stopped running and she looked pretty fit, compared to yesterday. I decided to put her in the pet carrier for transporting her but she had other ideas. After several attempts of pushing and shoving, I gave in to her claws that kept digging her way out of the carrier. I barely escaped getting slashed up real good on my hands and arms……I decided if she felt that good she didn’t need a shot.

I was surprised when I put the carrier down and headed towards her…..I figured she would bolt and run after our skirmish but she didn’t hold it against me and allowed me to pet and hold her a little. She kept looking at Callie, who had watched the whole experience with some interest, and there was no doubt as to who got the blame for the melee.

Well now I don’t claim to know a lot about cats but I decided if she had that kind of strength and determination she must be feeling pretty good. I put the carrier up, petted her a while and came home. Callie trotted along behind me and I relaxed a bit on the deck with Callie and Chevy. Case closed………..so until tomorrow,

Essentially Esther.