<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

A SPECIAL WEEKEND..... 

We had such a wonderful birthday and Memorial Day I am still trying to realize it’s time to get back to work. I sort of slid for the three day weekend and enjoyed every minute. Thanks for all the kind words, cards and gifts….they were appreciated.

Life has a funny way of running in cycles. I was thinking the other day why older folks seem to get a grip on “some” things and let a lot of other things “go.” When you’re little, you do what your parents want, when you date and marry, you do everything you think your sweetheart wants, then children……and what they want….pets….family….PTA, Cubs, Scouts, Bluebirds, Camp Fire Girls, piano lessons, drum lessons, Bible School……the list goes on and on. If you’re a working mom you have the job thrown in and most of us have been there and done that.

Eventually, the nest is empty, but the family is growing larger outside your perimeter. Son-in-laws, daughter-in-laws, grandchildren and yes, now it’s great grandchildren. If you’ve had a divorce and/or lost a mate to terminal illness, there are those family members you still keep in touch with……and if you’ve married again, as I have, there is still a third family to become part of.

When older folks sit down and size up where they’ve been and the number of years they may or may not have left, they decide it’s time to prioritize. I do hope you’ve been the person you can respect in your golden years. To reach old age without making mistakes is impossible but to be less than you expect of yourself is a real tragedy.

Honesty, common courtesy, a helping hand, loyalty, friendship….these are the things that put expression to your face and make a satisfied person. I feel sorry for people who are unhappy with the lines on their faces and who turn to plastic surgery. I still want to see “me” when I look in the mirror, not some mannequin. I love the lines on old faces. I love the bent stature of old people. It tells a story far better than words about the person and the hard work they've done.

Age is not to be avoided but celebrated. I am blessed to have reached 74 and I thank God for each day. I hope the ones I have left will be opportunities to learn more and to understand more. I’ve always said life is too serious to be taken seriously so keep a good bit of humor in your pocket and smile at everyone you meet. It kinda makes them want to smile too…….

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther