<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

MANDY, MANDY...... 

Mandy is at the Vet’s. No we didn’t put her out for adoption. I actually tried to kill her with good intentions……I was fixing steak for our anniversary dinner on Sunday and Mandy was very attentive to my culinary moves around the kitchen. She really came to life when she smelled the steak. I thought, “Well, why not? I’ll give her a little piece or two of the trimmings.” She ravenously gulped them down and looked fetchingly for more.

She looked so happy…..I thought, “Well, OK, just a little bit more.” This went on until she had eaten the last scrap. She was happy and I thought I did a good thing. Sunday went well and Monday morning I was overcome with joy when, for the first time, she pottied big for me twice and even did a “pee pee” as we walked about the yard. I thought we were over the problem of “going” in the house.

I began my morning routine feeling great. Mandy was not feeling that great, and her growing discomfort was oblivious to me……..then I smelled something. I looked about and she had left her calling card in two places with a wet spot as well. It looked “runny” and odd. So did Mandy. I cleaned it up and we continued this ritual until I finally put her in Amber’s cage to alleviate me from being the “middle man” so to speak.

After changing the papers as fast as poor Mandy could mess them up, I called the Vet. Of course they asked me if she had any thing different recently……to which I responded, “Just the allergy medication you gave me for her.” I didn’t think about the steak scraps playing a role in her demise……..however, I asked if the Vet was in so he could look at her and as Rocky went out the door, I suddenly thought of the steak, and told him to mention it to them……….

When Rocky came back, sans Mandy, he said Doc was keeping her……she was dehydrated and running a fever, and was a very sick puppy. I was advised not to give her any more meat treats, especially fat treats. I called this morning and she had a pretty good night……..we are to pick her up probably this afternoon. Miss Mandy will now have treats from the Vet that will accommodate her delicate stomach.

One of our other critters had a wild night……as we were drifting off to sleep we had a vigorous thunderstorm and one blast sounded like it hit outside our window. Our thoughts turned to Napoleon who had been serenading us from one of the oaks. He was silent after that and we feared the worst. As morning came I looked for him without any luck……then later, he appeared routinely atop Rocky’s old Plymouth Van, busily grooming his feathers. He seemed rather undaunted by the near miss of the lightening bolt last night and followed the cats off to play………who says old folks don’t have any fun? Our life is full of drama.

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther