<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, May 18, 2006

COFFEE BREAK..... 

It is almost noon as I write today and I need to assure those of you who read Essentially Esther that we are not….I repeat…..NOT…living on fruit and veggie juice. Thank you for giving me some good belly laughs when I read your comments on it. It is only a small amount twice a day….fruit in the morning and veggie in the afternoon. It is the “between meal” snack, if you will, the doctors want Rocky to have.

The only reason for the juicer was so Rocky could absorb more of both without bulking him up. The cancer and the chemo both make it difficult to absorb all the good out of what he eats. Since he needs 80% of his diet in fresh fruits and vegetables, we steam some, bake some, juice some and once in a while for a treat, we stir-fry some in the purest of olive oil.

We both decided the remaining beets would be eaten cooked, with a little natural butter for a treat. My theory is this. Since Rocky doesn’t like most vegetables, if I fix some really yukky stuff…..then give him the option of having it another way…he thinks he bartered a favor. Then he eats the next offering without complaint. I’m aware it’s manipulative, but hey……I raised three kids and I know for sure this works. If it weren’t for keeping this man alive, I would NEVER stoop to bribery….(or would I?)…..huummmmmm….

I bought an excellent book on juicing and one came with the product, so I promise you won’t have to gag along with Rocky. The next try will be just plain ol’ orange juice…….after that, we’ll try some recipes. Believe me, Becky and I went goofy on juicing one winter (my life before Rocky) and I can’t look ginger root in the face at the produce department. Even I have my limits……juicing has it’s place for older folks that just can’t eat the bulk of all the fresh garden and orchard variety…..and the fresh vitamins are quickly absorbed into the body of those who need it most…..the terminally ill.

Before I sign off for today, I would like to herald what John and Becky wrote about their brother, George. The draft was about to come up with his number in the war with Viet Nam…..he decided to quit college and sign up with the Navy and take charge of his own destiny. The Oriskany was his second ship and he was on her until he was Honorably Discharged at the end of his tour.

In talking with George a while back, he said he would never have been able to travel to the places he saw all over the west rim of the Pacific. He went to Alaska, Japan, the Philippines, Guam, Australia, Diego Garcia, Viet Nam, east Africa and probably many more that I don’t remember. He was an excellent traveler. He loved the different cultures, sights and sounds that he’d only read about before. His was an enriching experience in the Navy. George was an Eagle Scout, elected into the Order of the Arrow and received the God and Country award in Scouting. He had to be prodded at times……but he was always a finisher. That says a lot about a man.

His dad once told me when I worried about his small size compared to the other Scouts…….(the canoe portage from Eli, Minnesota into Canada, the long hikes they took at the Philmont Boy Scout Ranch in New Mexico and all the other places….) that George might be small in size but he always comes in slow and steady.

That is George. He may not be grandiose but he gets the job done…..he is someone you can count on and he is loyal. Just the kind of guy who would serve on the Oriskany and mourn her passing……he stands with many of us who never saw her or felt a wave under her but felt sad when she went down.

……. “no falling apart even in it’s final moment in the sunshine”…….I’m sure that made you proud, George………….and you make us proud.

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther