<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, March 30, 2006

YARDWORK AT THE ROCKENBACH'S......... 

I’m up with a cup of coffee ready to visit a minute while Rocky still catches a few winks. He’s been sleeping later since he’s no longer answering an alarm clock and I for one am glad. Healing takes place in the body with rest….and in the mind when decisions are made for fight or flight. Rocky has put on his gloves. Look out!!

Yesterday was fun. It warmed up quickly and we went out mid-morning to do the raking I told you about yesterday. I watched my boy closely and when I saw him leaning against a tree I went for a lawn chair and a stool………we both sat down and enjoyed a Pepsi and looked at the piles of twigs we’d raked up. Accomplishment comes in small packages sometimes…….and ordinary things you wouldn’t give a second thought to otherwise become a big deal. We were proud of what we were able to do.

After our break, Rocky came in to watch judge shows and I stayed out longer to hopefully finish that side of the yard. Callie, Lovey and Chevy enjoyed leaping into the wheelbarrow now and then but eventually tired and ended up laying under it for shade. It actually became warm with a little activity. Short sleeve warm. Napoleon had strayed on up Becky’s way. Now that it is good eating with all the new vegetation he isn’t on hand to eat my goodies as often but he still likes to see me come with something in hand.

I took turns raking, sitting, dumping the load and coming back for more. At one point I sat down in the lawn chair and called my cousin, Dale with the cellphone. It was good to hear his familiar voice rather than emailing. Rocky appeared and disappeared as he felt up to it and I was near my finishing line when little Davey from next door came home from school. He rode his John Deere battery vehicle around a few times and then spotted me. “HI GRANDMA!!!!!” I gave him a hearty hello and he darted in their house.

As six year olds do……he reappeared in no time with a picture in a frame….his school picture. He was all slicked up and looked like he was on his way to a prom or something. He’s one good looking six year old. Davey doesn’t have any grandparents……and he has grown up thinking I’m it. I like to spend time with him….us old codgers have a way of getting into their heads and giving them a different kind of TLC along with the reality pill. Grandparenting is a wonderful opportunity to sprinkle some wisdom with a special kind of love. And did I mention that we also need and enjoy the love that those little guys give back to us? Oh yes!!

I asked if he’d like to come in and see Rocky and he immediately headed for the door. He “took up” with Rocky when he married “grandma” and brought his big Freightliner and trailer to the neighborhood. In time Davey got to ride in it and hear the big horn. As he grew older he would run to the window every time he heard it coming or going. All little boys like big trucks…..a lot of old boys, too.

Rocky asked if he’d like to see where the doctor left a scar and he said “yes” so Rocky pulled up his Tee-shirt and showed the impressive battle scar. Then for drama, he peeled one of the small pieces of tape off right in front of Davey’s eyes. It was a heroic moment only men understand.

Davey and I went back outside and he watched as I picked up the last of the day’s twigs and then run to bring me the hose and turn on the water as I scoured and cleaned the bird baths. He saved me a lot of steps between three bird baths and the water hydrant. His dad has trained him well in the correct way to do things. He is a six year old going on twenty-five.

When I came in, Rocky was ready for his walk and left while I began fixing supper. The “kid” who is having the new house built across the street was inspecting the day’s progress after work and Rocky stopped to chat with him. Pat sold cars for years and Rocky hauled them in his early days of trucking so they made a quick connection.

The day ended quietly…..leaving the Rockenbach Acre with the gift of a normal day.

Those are the best.

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther