<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, February 24, 2006

JUST THINKING...... 

Today is the beginning of some new writing. Rather than writing of the past, I am now able to write of the present and the future. It’s odd how our days take on meaning. Today was tomorrow once and it will also be yesterday once. It’s all just a matter of time…… and our days change.

I suppose the good thing to do would be to make them all as good as we can and therefore the past, present and future will be pleasant to recall or to look forward to. I have always been a lover of poetry….I am a hopeless romantic and poetry speaks to me. I believe we each have a secret place where we go for refreshing…..whether it is song or poetry, art or nature…..there is a language understood only by our heart.

I have spent over two years writing about my mother and father’s families and I have many items in my home from days gone by. Things that once were loved by them and now are mine…..I have become the keeper for a little while and I shall love them for a time before they are passed on to someone else. We are all keepers of the past and benefactors of the future.

My mother loved poetry and copied poems she found and wanted to keep. Poems that spoke to her. They were written on note paper, on the backs of scratch paper or napkins…..whatever was handy at the time. Whenever she read one that she liked she found a way to preserve it. She had a box of them cut from magazines and papers….yellowed with age and many of them committed to memory. One she often quoted is one of my favorites so I’ll share it with you. Maybe it will brighten your day sometime as it did for her.

There Are Loyal Hearts

There are loyal hearts, there are spirits brave,
There are souls that are pure and true;
Then give to the world the best you have,
And the best will come back to you.

Give love, and love to your heart will flow,
A strength is your utmost need:
Have faith, and a score of hearts will show
Their faith in your word and deed.

For life is the mirror of king and slave,
‘Tis just what you are and do;
Then give to the world the best you have,
And the best will come back to you.

By Madeline S. Bridges

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther