<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, February 23, 2006

IN THE PRESENT AT LAST....2006 

The month of January was not only a new year but a new beginning for me because I went back to work at the Antique Barn part-time. It came about rather unexpectedly but after I decided to do it I was glad. It was nice to fit back into the old routine.

We didn’t have much bad weather in January and the month went by quickly. Napoleon decided to stay with us and each night we watched him fly up into our big oak tree in the front yard to roost. He is quite a picture in the top of the tree as the sun goes down……which is later and later as the days go by.

We have our routine worked out pretty well. On the days I work, the three outside kitties, Callie, Chevy and Lovey come running when they see the car. They have realized on those days I will return the way I left so they sit out front watching the street. When they see our car they run to meet me…..it’s a nice welcome home.

Napoleon is close behind because whatever the cats do, he wants in on it. He spends a large part of his day following them around and hoping they’re scared of him. He makes a rustling sound with his tail feathers all fanned out and the cats usually run past him or go the other way. He loves it.

As strange as it seems I have caught up to the present time…..February 2006. Just two years and forty nine days since I began the odyssey of the Andersen’s and the Stricklett’s and how I came to be. I have loved them all and they have left their mark on me. I am who I am because of the lives I saw them live through the good times and the bad.

We are an imperfect bunch…..and I’m glad. We had a pastor once who said some Christians he was around were so perfect and syrupy he didn’t like being around them. Our family wasn’t wealthy, famous or noteworthy and we could never be guilty of being so sweet and syrupy a preacher couldn’t stand us. We have skeletons in the closet but I don’t reckon so many we couldn’t shut the door.

I’m glad to come from hard working common people. I’m glad I’ve had to do without at times and glad I had a lot of troubles knocking at my door. I’m glad to have lived a real life without someone trying to spare me the trials. I would have missed so much and been emotionally bankrupt at this time of life.

I realize I am coming to the end of my journey but I am not afraid. I have watched better people than me face death with courage…. and die with confidence in their faith. I am a simple woman who has had an ordinary life….but I have lived and I have loved…..and greatly. That is the gift I leave for my children. This is the story of how they came to be and that they were loved….greatly.

…..and now they have their own stories to write.

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther