<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, January 09, 2006

THE REST OF MAY - THROUGH AUGUST 2001 

We arrived home in time to get the kitties out of boarding and they were happy to come home. On the following Sunday, Becky had the neighbors in and had a beautiful wedding cake for us. We enjoyed that with some coffee and spirited visiting.

Next came all the red tape that has to be done with a name change and change of address. It took us quite a while but eventually it was all taken care of. In time, Rocky got his big Freightliner moved in the lot next door, along with his trailer and a few of his pets. It was tough to divide them up as he had to do but we were fortunate to find good homes for the ones he couldn’t sell. With all of our happiness there were a few kinks in letting the animals go from the farm. It was not an easy choice……..we both love animals and neither of us wanted to see them go. Sad.

I was getting acquainted with Rocky’s daughter and family and his son who came back home to help Rocky with the animals. It was a 3-hour ride back to the farm and family and that summer we made the trip several times to finish up the loose ends. Rocky began hauling plastic pipe out of Pittsburg, KS. again and I made several trips with him just for the company. It was interesting to me to see how it all worked from loading to unloading.

Becky and I had a shock the end of May. We went out to the Barn to work our booths and were told that it had been sold to another couple. We were just heartsick over it. We were very fond of the original owners and of course, any changes in business are upsetting. On the 28th, I enjoyed my 69th birthday. We dropped by the Barn to take some things out and John, the owner, was ill and asked if I would work for him. Of course I did and Becky and Rocky picked me up at closing time. We came home and fixed steaks……..later the Hockings came over for cake and ice-cream.

We were saddened in June to get a phone call that Jonathan’s fiance, Becky Waggoner died on the 12th at 5:00pm. Jonathan had been with her until the end and was terribly distraught. She had become so thin and weak but even so, the last time we saw her, she was very interested in all that was going on and never once mentioned her illness or gave any indication how gravely ill she was. It was hard to believe her young life was over. As my aunt Mary told me when she was dying of cancer……. “Death is a big part of living and a natural thing. Don’t grieve long because the dead are where there is no more pain or sorrow.” Aunt Mary, the teacher, faced it calmly and gave me no reason to pity her.

Becky and I went to the visitation night for Becky Waggoner one town up the road from where we live. There were about 400-500 young people who filled the place and spilled out over the lawn and into the streets around. Jonathan and Becky had a lot of friends and they came to show their support of both. We stayed a short while and then came home.

A terrible storm came up as we left the funeral home that evening and continued raining into the next morning. By the time we left for the church conducting her service it cleared off and the sun came out in time for the procession to get to the cemetery. It was a sad day for the whole town.

John, Barb, LJ and three extra boys came towards the end of June on their way to basketball camp at Kansas University again. A week later they came back on their way home. We fed and got them all bedded down between Becky’s and us…….fixed a big breakfast the next morning so they could be on their way south. We always enjoyed the carefree fun between LJ and the other boys. It was their first time to meet Rocky.

July was uneventful and August came with heat and dry weather. I agreed to work for the new owners at the Barn part-time. I had enjoyed working there and part-time work is nice for retired purposes. I became the owner of a used computer the last part of August…..Becky saw one at work that was going to be sold and told them I might be interested in it. I wasn’t but Rocky and Becky talked me into it. Rocky had one when he moved from the farm but I had them take it up to Becky’s since I had no desire for one. Little did I know the world awaiting me in the vast reaches of space.

Rocky talked me into turning our spare bedroom into an office so we worked on the changeover and liked the results. Next came serious sessions with computer technology. At first I was dumb as a rock but eventually it began making sense and I was able to write emails which was profoundly rewarding. Once I grasped the convenience and speed of emailing, I was sold. I had no idea that I would ever be blogging as John was so interested in……..but then, you never know until you try something new just how much fun it can be. Hello world….I’m blogging now!!

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther