<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, December 09, 2005

SEPTEMBER AND OCTOBER....2000 

September was busy as Becky and I were working a lot at the Antique Barn. By the time she worked her “day” job with the Patrol and worked at the Barn she met herself coming and going. I spent my “off” time in the yard getting things prepared for winter and other than that the month slid by without any hits, runs or errors. Becky and I took turns with fixing the evening meal….whoever was here at the appointed time did KP and it worked out great.

As October rolled around, the debates between Gore and Bush intensified and we were bombarded with political agendas from every side. I don’t know why they do this because it seems to me we voters have our minds made up the minute each party endorses their runner. It’s just a lot of hoopla and expense that could be used for a better cause. Usually the people we would like to see run never get to and so we are left in a political quagmire. October was a true battleground for the Presidency.

Becky and I went to see the Hockings quite a bit in the evenings as they never had company and we enjoyed them and Davy. Therefore we didn’t wear our welcome out and they were happy to have us come. Davy was getting so cute and his personality was developing more from one week to the next. I planned a birthday dinner for Patty but I was called into work….they were overrun with business and I couldn’t say no. Becky ended up fixing the meal for the Hockings, the Adams family and me……..it was a nice evening for us all.

The morning of the 18th I woke up to the news that our Governor was killed in a plane crash and his son was at the controls……it was anticipated that they had mechanical problems. They were enroute home from campaigning and all on board were killed. After a huge vacuum and scramble to replace him in the election, his wife agreed to run on his ticket and there was all kinds of political hub-bub over the whole affair. Politics makes strange bed fellows they say and she was gaining support around the State.

The rest of the month was spent working. The business kept increasing at the Barn so that it took three of us to keep up…..my part-time job became pretty much full-time. I realized I was going to have to make a decision about working so much but it’s hard to quit so much fun. I was very happy in the employment and I was learning a lot about the antique business…..however, my old body began to send signals to slow down. When you don’t sit down for 9-hours straight every day, plus all of the wrapping and rushing to shorten the lines at the register those “brain waves” become louder. I had been doing this some time now and it was time to slow down.

I only know one guy who was actually smart about his retirement. My cousin, Dale. When he retired…….he made good on just doing what he “wanted” to do. “I’ve got to, I should, I have to, I ought to”……..all went out the window and he did exactly as he wanted. He still tries to talk sense to me but his influence wears off between emails and phone conversations and I find myself back in the saddle. I guess I’ve always been flattered that anyone wanted me to work for them enough to ask me….there were only about 2 jobs I ever had where I asked “them” for the job. Besides the flattery, the extra money was nice but I was looking for “something” to make my mind up about working…..or not.

Yes….you’re ahead of my story….you know I found the answer, but not quite yet.

Until Monday,
Essentiall Esther