<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, December 05, 2005

MARCH....2000 

I welcomed March with another colonoscopy….not my idea of fun but my doctor takes my health very seriously. I had been having the same problems that necessitated the first one so after the glorious evening “before” Becky called to get me up at 4:15 a.m. for our drive to Springfield. We were to check in to the Outpatient Clinic at Cox South by 6:00 a.m. There was already a group of early risers with family in attendance when we arrived…..everyone with a grim look on their face. A little adventure like this affects the immediate people around the patient as they have to listen to the endless complaints until the ordeal is over.

On the day of the event, I am always more in need of coffee and breakfast than I am an 80-mile drive to a hospital….I’ve been spoiled over the years with good health. I’m a better care-giver than I am a patient…..the “active role” in a procedure is not something I’m used to, obviously. Becky, who has been a patient of many afflictions over the years, has little sympathy for my denial and then complaints about the inconvenience of it all.

I had a 3-4 inch problem area and Dr. Miller said he would call as soon as he received the biopsies, which he did, and said all was clear. I had oral antibiotics to take for a while and the episode would then be over. A few days later our neighbor’s were the proud parents of a baby boy, little Davy. Becky and I took a meal to them when they came home....Davy didn’t have any grandparents as they had all passed away so Becky and I became aunt Becky and gramma Esther. To this day we enjoy him and his parents, as family.

I launched forth on a big make-over on the house. I contacted a woman in town who did papering and painting…….then Becky and I went to the wallpaper store and poured over the books. There are so many more choices now that it’s very hard to make a decision……wallpaper and the trim can make a house take on a new personality. Of course, the trick is to choose something that will compliment the furniture you can’t afford to replace……that makes the choices pare down a bit.

The next couple of months I was living in a total mess. Karen and her sister-in-laws were painting ceilings, woodwork, doors and the bookcase in the living room. Then they began papering. By the time they finished I was very satisfied with it all……and took my time putting everything back in order. I cleaned as I went and eliminated the need for the usual Spring cleaning ritual.

Everything was going well and then I began feeling really sick. The symptoms returned that I’d had the colonoscopy for, so I called for an appointment with Dr. Miller to check me out. He suspected I was having reactions to Asacol which surprised him as it rarely causes any adverse effects. I had flu-like symptoms and felt weak, sick and drained. I remained on the medicine since it seemed unlikely that was my problem until I woke one morning with further bleeding, vomiting and high fever. I called Dr. Miller who told me to quit taking the medication immediately. He said I was definitely having an allergic reaction….one of the few.

It seems I’m allergic to any medication. After a few days of rest my strength returned and I never had any more trouble. When I asked Dr. Miller if I had caused it by not eating correctly or too much stress he assured me that was not the case. He said colitis just happens for no reason and it wasn’t because of any neglect. That made me feel better about it all and was the last time I had a colon problem.

I was happy to bid March farewell. It had been a busy month with all the medical appointments, the painting and papering and the March birthdays. I was ready for a change to the better……and life being what it is….things got better!

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther