<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, December 02, 2005

JANUARY AND FEBRUARY....2000 

The month of January was warmer than normal but we did have snow towards the end of the month. The flu epidemic was in full swing…schools were let out and people were urged to stay away from crowds. Becky and I obliged and stayed in. It was hard learning to write 2000.…I kept writing 19 before I could catch myself. When I was a young girl in school I remember subtracting my birth year from the century change and I thought….. “ I’ll be 67 when that happens…I’ll be a very old woman then.” Well, here I was……and wondering where all those years went.

I had some friends in for dinner occasionally. January is a long month and once Christmas is behind us, it’s nice to relax with guests. When January is gone we begin looking for better weather conditions and thankful February is a short month.

Becky went to Kansas City to help her father celebrate his 75th birthday Open House the last weekend in the month. When she came home we watched the Super Bowl and it was an exciting game. Our St. Louis Rams were playing the Tennessee Titans and the decision wasn’t made until the last second. Warner called the play and there was a huge pileup at the goal line……a Ram managed to punch it across the goal line at arms length. By that time Becky and I were out of our chairs helping him get it over. It had been a storybook year for the Rams with a miracle ending…..a perfect finish.

I made a notation on February 3rd that OPEC had raised the price of crude oil….we were paying $1.15.9 per gallon and it had jumped to $1.21.9 overnight. We were stunned at the price hike and OPEC was withholding oil to keep the price up. Now, in looking back, it would be nice to have those prices again.

February was uneventful, but sometimes that’s good. I kept myself busy with cleaning and crocheting, writing letters, reading and the like. Some folks don’t like being alone but I am never bored. I suppose after retirement most people find things to fill their time but I can always do that right where I’m at. Contentment is a word that graces solitude if you just let it settle on you…and for me…that is a good thing……….

Until Monday,
Essentially Esther