<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, December 22, 2005

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEORGE....2005 

I’ve been writing about Christmas memories this week and one that stands out above many is the birth of my first son, George. I was a mere wisp of a girl at 18 when George surprised me in May……he made his announcement to me standing over the stool in the bathroom, barfing up my sox. I didn’t get the picture right away and when the vomiting never stopped I had to accept the fact that I was, in fact, pregnant.

My first emotion? I was scared silly. Girls are privy to older girls filling them in on the big event……the pure misery that ends in a long, torturous birth ordeal. By the time I finally quit upchucking all day long, I was well into the pregnancy. I did the normal things….learned how to crochet booties, bought and borrowed baby stuff and watched my body grow into a Humpty-Dumpty figure.

Well, there is never excitement quite like having that first baby. Everything is new from the experience to the baby things ……and discovering you are now financially broke. It’s the beginning of a long journey for the parents and for the baby. I’ll have to confess we were hard on George. We thought we had to have a perfect child who didn’t cause embarrassment by misbehaving. Ha!! Parent alert!! They are going to embarrass the sox off of you……and they don’t wait very long to do it. Every parent I know falls into the same traps…..get over it…they don’t come perfect.

Well, when you stop to think about it….living with a perfect child would be awful because then you would stick out like porcupine quills with all of your bad habits. The way it is, parents come out looking pretty good to a kid who is, ah, spoiled and slightly uncontrollable.

Here’s to you, George, for blazing the trail for your sister and little brother. You took a lot of lectures until we wised up….well, sorta. By the time the other kids came along we didn’t bother with the small stuff……and it’s all small stuff. You gave us a lot of good memories and I hope you have a wonderful birthday. We’ll celebrate tomorrow night with pizza and cherry cobbler………mama’s little boy has turned 55. Happy Birthday George!!!!

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther