<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

APRIL AND MAY....2000 

Bear’s brother and wife came to visit a few days as they were traveling through the area. They had been to Florida and were driving back to Walla Walla. We had a good visit although it was short in time……..later on our friends from the Lake of the Ozarks came to visit over a long weekend.

The grass was already growing enough that I had to mow a few times and the wall-papering came to a halt since the rest of the paper hadn’t arrived yet. The girls were finished with everything they could do until the order came.

LJ’s birthday was the 19th and he was 15 on that day. I never got to be much of a grandmother to LJ……they have always lived so far away that it was impossible to have a personal relationship with him and I know I missed a lot. He was and is very talented in sports and art. He is bound to have an interesting life because his interests are wide and deep. Anyone who creates and dreams big will reap more happiness than they can contain. Life is a bouquet of possibilities. The one thing I know always pleases him is a batch of Chocolate Chip Cookies and that’s what I made and sent that year with his gift.

With all of the decorating I had done, Becky had projects of her own going on. She had papered and painted by herself…..in fact, she started the whole thing. When I saw her change for the better…..was when I contracted mine to be done. I enjoy painting but not papering and certainly not the wall sized bookcase in the living room or the woodwork which I was changing to white. The effect it had was worth every penny to have someone else do it.

Our neighbors were planning to move to St. Louis for better work and opportunity and Becky and I were just sick about it. Dave no longer had the health to be a police officer and had taken early retirement. We had grown to love them all and knew we would miss them terribly. The baby was about 2-months old and getting so cute. I asked some of the other neighbors a few days later to join us for a farewell dinner and we did the best we could to give them a good send off…..even though we hated to see them go. It was the Saturday evening before Mother’s Day in May.

The next day I was walking around the yard looking at my flowers when the neighbors walked over to the fence to tell me they decided not to move to St. Louis after all. I’m sure my mouth dropped open and before I could say anything……they told me after they went home from the party they decided the important things in life were right here with people who loved them…..not in a city where it wouldn’t be good for Davy to grow up. I was so happy I teared all up and hugged both of them at once. Needless to say, when Becky walked down to join us she had the same reaction I did. It was wonderful news and they still live next door. Davy is now five years old. I did however, tell them that was a tacky way to get a nice meal and then back out on leaving…….we had a good laugh over it.

Don Rockenbach, an old classmate of mine called on May 15th to see how I was doing. It was always a nice surprise when he called. He and his wife lived over on the other side of the State and enjoyed having animals of all kinds on their farm. They raised small breeds of dogs and sold to other breeders……..Don was always dragging something home with him that he found on the road. He rescued everything from ducks to possums and they traveled in his truck with him until they arrived back at the farm. A person who loves animals as much as he does is very special.

Unknown to me, Becky had planned a surprise party for my birthday and we had taken flowers to the cemetery for Memorial Day…..when we came home, George was walking Murphy on our road. He had just arrived as part of my surprise. Shortly after, one of the guys I used to work with arrived with his wife; Corky, another co-worker, the neighbors from next door and Jonathan. It was a perfect day for eating on the deck and that’s just what we did.

Becky had ordered food from the Deli and it was wonderful along with a special birthday cake. I am easy to fool…..I never expect anything going on and a surprise works great with me…..everyone always enjoys my reactions. It was my 68th this year and I certainly enjoyed the party. John’s and Jennifer called to wish me a happy year.

George had to leave the following Monday, which was Memorial Day, and Becky and I ate leftovers for several days…..all in all, it had been a very good month. Babies born in May are blessed to arrive with the promise of summer ahead and the freshness of Spring in their souls…….life is ever new for a May baby.

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther