<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, November 28, 2005

SEPTEMBER....1999 

The first of August Becky and I decided to rent a showcase at our local Antique Barn and Flea Market. We had been shopping there all summer for items to complete the collections we were working on and became very friendly with the owners. Between them and Becky I was a reluctant participant but the first month our sales were so good even I was amazed. It was like a match to the prairie grass once we saw the possibility of what “marketing” could do.

….and so, that is why, on the first day of September, we were filling a second showcase. We worked hard, getting it filled to our satisfaction and then waiting for results. It also meant making periodic trips to see if we needed to fill shelves, change our prices, etc; In short, it gave me a purpose that I had been needing and also a way to rid myself of unwanted objects around the house. Since then, I have continually been in the “find and replace mode” as we buy and sell.

Our neighbor, Dave, was a policeman in our small town and on a routine stop ran into a young man from Iowa in a stolen car, violating his parole. When he opened the door to get the driver’s license, the young man tromped the accelerator and took Dave for a wild ride, trying to run his side of the car into other vehicles, trees, whatever……..with Dave hanging on the door. This went on for several blocks when the driver lost control and wrecked the car on a side street, throwing Dave onto the pavement.

The assailant got Dave’s gun and attempted shooting him without any luck. He threw the gun down and ran across Main Street behind some buildings and into an open field. Some teenagers saw the whole thing happening and took pursuit after him, catching him and giving him some lumps to remember. Dave was a buddy to all the kids in town…..saving them many times from arrest or worse by talking sense into them. He was well respected by the community at large and no one wanted to see him hurt.

His long recuperation eventually caused retirement. His shoulder never healed well enough that he could be as physical as he needed to be and he didn’t want to run the risk of causing harm to anyone for lack of it. We were happy that he wasn’t hurt worse and just glad to have him home, next door.

The following Monday I began working part time at the “Barn”…….John, the owner had talked to me about it some time earlier and I thought I might give it a try. I had been retired two years and it sounded like fun. It gave John and his wife a little time away after starting their business from the ground up and working every day. John was an engineer who designed the building and had every convenience built in. It was a learning experience for me to become more aware of pricing, buying and selling, the other dealers, etc; The shared knowledge and their tutoring was most beneficial.

I was surprised that being on my feet 9-hours a day didn’t bother me any more than being at home, doing my normal things. I was only supposed to work two days a week but it turned into three days the first week and after that, I was pretty much on call. They realized that their time away was very beneficial and I was a good replacement in their absence. I have always enjoyed the public and I enjoyed the work as well.

This particular September was one that I had not anticipated but I guess I liked the idea that someone “needed” my services…. and that at my age I could still be productive in the job market. I think that’s a good way for anyone to feel……

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther