<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Saturday, November 12, 2005

MARCH AND APRIL....1999 

March came in like a lamb but of course the weather changed quickly. I was absorbed with my health and getting rid of the rash that had driven me up the wall for 6 months. I went through series of days at a time that it felt I was being poisoned and had to force myself to do routine tasks. I drug around like a zombie and felt like my own grandmother. Becky was as puzzled because she knew I was doing everything the dermatologist prescribed as well as Dr. Powell.

March 10th Dr. Laughlin called and said the lab results showed I had a urinary tract infection. She conferred with Dr. Powell to make sure the antibiotics wouldn’t interfere with the other meds I was taking and the prescription was called to our local drugstore. I began taking them immediately because she couldn’t give me the oral medication we had discussed (to hopefully rid me of the rash) until I was cleared of the infection. If she thought the oral meds would do it after I was cleared, bring it on.

By the eighth day on the sulfa I was feeling icky and headachy. I managed to talk myself out of it and kept on working around the house. I spent a very restless night and didn’t get much sleep. The next day I felt worse and ached all over like I was taking the flu. I happened to look in the mirror when brushing my teeth and my face was swollen with a reddish purple cast. I called my doctor immediately and he said I was having a reaction to the Sulfa and not to take any more of it. There was only one pill left which I would have taken the next morning.

Becky called to see how I was feeling because she had been here the night before and knew I was having problems. When she heard what happened she was concerned and agreed with the doctor………to rest, drink lots of water and take Tylenol. I did all of that and was still miserable. I slept on the couch and had another sleepless night. Becky tried to make me comfortable but there was nothing any of us could do until the Sulfa left my system. Finally, the fourth night, sleep came but when I woke I was feeling worse. The next few days were again, miserable.

By the end of the month Dr. Powell called to tell me my urine sample was still abnormal and he made an appointment for me to see a Urologist he recommended. On the 6th of April Dr. Laughlin called to tell me she had the report from the Urologist and it showed my ‘abnormal’ urine sample was identified as Strep. It had been the driving force behind the rash and why I ached and hurt so bad all the time. It was separate from my Fibromyalgia problems and I was to see the Urologist for further treatment.

After that next appointment with him the results came out clear and it was no longer necessary to see him. The strange thing is, after the fiasco with the Sulfa, my rash started losing the deep red color and it’s puffiness….day after day it faded until I had no spots left and my skin returned to normal. It was like watching a miracle each day as the horrid rash grew fainter.

After the long episode I felt like a prisoner set free. If that sounds too dramatic, all I can say is…..it WAS dramatic. I could never imagine the demon I had been fighting for so long was caused by something internal. It took three different doctors and a lot of months to find the culprit and finally win the battle. I’m sure Becky was glad she no longer had to come morning and evening to put the cream on my back. The long journey was over and returning to my normal routine made Fibromyalgia look like a picnic. I made up my mind it was not going to dominate my life and time as the strange affair I had just been through…….and it hasn’t.

Life is like football. You have a choice to play on the offensive team or the defensive team. I chose the offense because I want to move to the goal line. I’m not just keeping someone else from making their goal…..and I’m not going to let them keep me from making mine.

Until Monday,
Essentially Esther