<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, November 18, 2005

JUNE....1999 

(Note: I inadvertantly typed MAY instead of JUNE. It only took me 4-days to figure this out. I don't know if I'm ahead or behind but anyway.....this is June.)


On this frosty Friday morning it seems odd to be writing about turning the AC on in June. The year is 1999 and we are nearing the mid-point telling of it already. Thank you for the well-wishes yesterday for Rocky’s birthday. He celebrated by bench pressing 200 lbs. in preparation for the Heavy Weight-Lifter’s Meet December 10th. He hopes to top that by the time the Meet begins. When we were young and foolish, he used to grab me and throw me over his shoulder….of course, (sigh) I was a mere slip of a girl back then…..but trust me, I’m not over 200 pounds now. He went into this weight thing telling me he wanted to work up to my weight so he could do it again. Well, I’ve lost weight since he started and he’s able to lift far more than he started out with………so, who knows, that trip over his shoulder may be forthcoming.

The first time I turned the AC on for the year was June 2nd……….when the weather turns humid along with the heat, I’m heading for the thermostat. Can’t take that humidity. One of my favorite musicians, Mel Torme, died on the 4th……….I had been a fan of his for years. The man with the velvet voice…..it was impossible for him to sing a sour note and the man had incredible breath control. Simply amazing. Being from the old school that I am…..I can’t see hip hop or rap being musical or even entertaining. There are a few areas where I can’t cut the modern stage any slack…….being older, I don’t have to be politically correct….I can be as narrow-minded as I want because seniors are expected to be that way. I don’t surprise anyone with a negative response to some of the modern day culture.

The month was full of yard work and having friends in for birthdays, dinners, desserts or just because. I enjoy cooking for people and their grateful comments at the dinner table is like saying “Amen” to a preacher in the middle of a sermon. It just makes you want to heap more on them…..I don’t think anyone ever left our house hungry. Not if I could help it…….

I found a good kid who was looking for summer jobs and he took on the task of painting the garage. I hired him by the hour and he worked diligently. He was the son of one of the Communications guys at the Highway Patrol Office. In fact, he was such a good little worker, I had him detail the car, wash the mobile home, and anything else I could think of. He graduated high school in May and was going to college in the fall…..his desire was to become a Trooper for the Missouri Highway Patrol. I knew Jeremy could be anything he set his mind to.

The month passed quickly. When you’re busy every day time has a way of evaporating. I spent a lot of hours in the flower beds and June was rather dry so that meant frequent watering. Gardner’s are a strange lot…..pulling weeds and getting dirt under their nails is not a problem. The joy of the first blooms and the perfection of the Creator’s hand in each is good for the soul. Being outside has always been good therapy for me. I do my best thinking in the garden or at the kitchen sink. Ironing is a good place as well but with the advent of ‘wash and wear’ I don’t iron much anymore……that’s one golden oldie I don’t seem to miss……

Until next time,
Essentially Esther