<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

THE REST OF SEPTEMBER....1997 

September moved on after Diana died. The world slowed down for a few moments in time but then resumed as if she never existed. That’s life…..and that’s death. My dad used to say, “After the people die off who knew you……you are forgotten.” I guess he was pretty accurate.

I lost two other people in my life that month who deserve mention. Blanch Mitchell and “Codd” Coddington. Blanch was a friend of my mothers. They had much in common as both were quiet but had very outgoing and artistic sisters. They found friendship in quiet ways while their sisters preferred the limelight. It took me a long time to learn that people who prefer the quiet life are not handicapped.

I used to feel sorry for ones who always sat at the side or the back of whatever was going on. I thought they suffered greatly because they seemingly had no artistic ability. What I learned is that most are satisfied, fulfilled and happy in their lives. They just don’t feel the need to be a great communicator or to make public use of their talents. I’ve been on both sides of the fence. Most of my life was public. When it was not I enjoyed different activity……or no activity. These are choices to be made when circumstances change for you.

Codd was an Army buddy of Bear’s. They had served together in quite a few of their tours of duty and had been friends from the U.S. to Europe. Codd and Bear were both in Military Intelligence and met in Polish Language School in Monterey, CA. They were being trained to interview refugees coming out of Eastern Europe with hopes of coming to the States……many from Poland and Germany. Bear spoke both languages.

When I married Bear, I began hearing about Codd on a daily basis. They were good buddies and in time I met both he and his wife….I liked them immediately. They had retired in San Diego and then moved north to Santa Rosa. They were originally from Illinois and loved California. They briefly moved to the lake areas in Arkansas but couldn’t take the humidity and moved back to California. Bear died in February….Codd died in September. They are still together and Carroll and I were left behind. We have stayed in touch with each other over the years.

September was trying to decide on her weather pattern. Some days were hot and sunny….others overcast and gloomy. We had beautiful days in-between that were worthy of honorable mention. Becky and I did yard work to get ready for winter and the closets were changed over for another season. The month slipped out on a Tuesday and October came to call…..my favorite month.

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther