<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, October 06, 2005

OCTOBER AND NOVEMBER....1997 

October is a favorite month for a lot of people. For most of us the scenery changes into a kaleidoscope of unbelievable color. October is the last of the harvest……the completion of a long, hot summer for farmers. For us small farmers….the flower garden variety, it means a killing frost will soon take our blooms away until spring when they bloom once more.

October this year was much the same except for a few changes. My brother and my dad’s birthdays were in October and mom died in October…..also a good friend. As the years go by more and more loved ones leave us but I am not fearful or angry. It is the way of life and death is the ultimate door we pass through.

The preparation for winter is always part of this month where we live. I washed all of the mobile home I could reach with a sponge mop and one weekend Becky did the top part for me as I held the ladder and “fetched” things for her. We raked our lawns together, washed windows, finished the gardens up and settled in for cold weather……..you don’t have to wait long once October is past.

We drove to Kansas City one week-end and spent time with George. It’s always fun to see his new home improvements and his carefully tended lawn. Of course there is always shopping and visiting with old friends as well. The changes in our old neighborhood are noted but the shopping areas change the landscape more than anything. It’s hard to realize how it all looked when we first moved to the area in 1957. We were one block away from cows grazing in a pasture. I miss that when I go back.

November came in gray and drizzly. The sky was gray flannel over a dormant world. Winter would soon be upon us. Early in the month I made a drive to Springfield for a second mammogram to dispel my doctor’s concern over a first one. It came out fine and I was told to return in 6-months. I wish every woman could get that news after a questionable X-ray. It also marked the month when we were told Bear had terminal brain cancer….one year ago.

November is always hunting season….deer hunting. I dread seeing them fastened to the tops of cars or hauled into town in the back of a pickup. Such beautiful animals that were meant to fly on their feet. I’m well aware of the facts about “managing” and about “harvesting” but I still don’t like it. Facts have nothing to do with the heart.

Dad and Louis….Jakie….all went to heaven in November. On the 22nd of the month an ambulance came up our road which surprised me. One year ago on that day we brought Bear home from the hospital in one…….it just struck me as odd. I spent part of each day in November raking leaves trying to finish up. It seemed the trees kept putting on more every night……..I couldn’t see any end to it. No doubt about it. This was my last year to rake leaves. I would learn to use the riding mower!!

George and Jonathan came for Thanksgiving dinner. John and Jennifer called and we had a nice visit over the phone, passing it around. The next day we put our tree up and I made sugar cookies which George and Becky iced. I wanted to have Christmas in our traditional way so Becky and I put our heads together to plan several Christmas tea's later on.

I decorated the house from head to toe in Bears. The tree was filled with bears on it and sitting around under it. This year would be a testimony that life goes on regardless of circumstances….Christmas would come again with the promise of peace and good will to men.

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther