<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

MONDAY IS GONE....HELLO TUESDAY 

Monday was spent in Springfield with Miss Becky. She went for what we hoped would be her dismissal from the orthopedic doctor. However, she is to remain on light duty for 6-more weeks while her mid foot tendons heal from top to bottom. It was good news and bad news. There are always factors that go each way.

I dropped her at her medical building while I drove back across town for lab work at a medical complex on the south of Springfield. Next, a stop by our dentist’s office to see if they could glue in a crown I lost eating a brownie last week. Thankfully I hadn’t chewed it to pieces and it was still in tact. A little glue should do the trick. Well, you know things are never that simple. The dentist and staff are out of the office for one whole week. I made an appointment for next Monday at high noon.

Back across town to see about Becky. I found her in the waiting room….still….waiting. I couldn’t believe it. Her doctor had been called out on an emergency earlier and was a half-hour behind……..now he was an hour behind. As I was voicing a complaint to Becky, they called her name and mama trotted right in with her. (I always do that….mother’s don’t get much priority after the kids are grown. It gives me a chance to exercise my once important role.)

After an x-ray and a visit……it’s pretty much the same story. Time will take care of it. That is a “stock” answer you get these days. Time is going so fast now that everything is taken care of….in time. It goes faster for everyone except the guy who is holding up a swollen, hurting foot. Good news, bad news.

By now it was noon and since I had fasted for my lab work I was now thinking about food very seriously. Our options were shot since it was noon in the city. We ended up at a diner which is one step above fast food. They still have waitresses and real dishes. The black and white tile, the counter and everything else in the building takes you right back to the 40’s. Sorry if YOU can’t go back that far. I remember the old “Steak and Shake” from the dark ages………..good old greasy steak burgers with all the dressings on your plate, fries, onion rings and a double dark chocolate milk shake. The milk shake was a new concoction for Halloween…….it was like mainlining hot fudge right into your gizzard. Becky and I decided one of those was enough for a lifetime.

So now we are charged with enough fat and chocolate to do some serious shopping. We had a long list but our time had been kicked out of the park. We threw out the non-essential list (like groceries) and went right to the Flea-Market. Becky and I pushed a cart around this huge warehouse finding treasures for the rooms we are each redecorating. Before we knew it we were worn out and it was still a long drive home. We got the van loaded with the help of the owner and headed towards Willow Springs.

Today I am placing and replacing…and doing all the things I didn’t do yesterday. One thing for sure, I will get in touch with my old friend, Betty and offer my condolences for the loss of her husband. Time does heal all wounds and even those of the heart.

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther