<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, October 13, 2005

MAY....1998 

Becky and I drove to Shawnee over Mother’s Day and had a nice time visiting George and all of our friends. Becky put a lot of time in looking at cars with George…..he insisted she get herself something reliable so she could go places without worry. Her old car was at home so they wrote it off and went from there. It wasn’t worth a spot in the dealer’s Blue Book anymore and was in pathetic shape.

She got herself a small Chevrolet and afterwards we rode across town in it to enjoy a wonderful lunch at Stevenson’s Apple Farm. It is my favorite place to go in Kansas City. I love the charm and the food is wonderful…… We got to see all of our old neighbors and friends, did lots of shopping and went out to eat pizza a couple of times with the Carter’s, which is a tradition.

It was over too fast and before we knew it we were on our way back home. The kitties are always deliriously happy when we get home after a trip. I was still taking them to the vet at this time but later I took some advice from other pet owners and arranged things at home so they could stay here while we were gone. It was much better on all of us….the vet boarding kept going up in price and was making my little trips pretty expensive….and like I was told, they were so much happier.

On May 15th, Becky called to tell me Frank Sinatra died of a heart attack. I didn’t have the morning news on yet and she knew I would be sad to hear it. Of course, he was a big favorite of mine…..his unique styling and respect for the music he sang made him very special. In a world of mad music where most see how loud they can scream and play their instruments, he still had a very large following. In spite of the bad publicity he had over the years, I remained faithful to him. I don’t let an artists personal life get in the way of their contribution to their craft.

Corky, one of the kids I used to work with, came with his weed-eater and trimmed the yard for me, then started working in the back woods where poison ivy was thick. He worked several days on it for me……wouldn’t take a cent but I did get him to eat some tacos with us. He loved Mexican food, and especially mine. He was a god-send because it was too difficult for me to run the weed-eater. Bless his heart, he faithfully came every so often and did it for me without asking. He also cleaned the lot up between Becky and me so it wasn’t so weedy. I will always be grateful for his help.

Jonathan came and cut out some trees for me the day after my birthday. He had a crew of guys and he brought the chipper and bucket truck. They were sure good at what they do……..they had five trees down and cleaned up before dark. It opened the front yard up nicely and would give more room to the trees I wanted to keep. Our weather had been dry for May and I didn’t have to mow as often as I normally would. I had to water my flowers to keep them going.

Becky was thrilled because she cleaned her little gray station wagon up and a guy from work bought it for his son. She got $500 for it which made her a very happy girl, plus got it out of her yard. The little wagon was tough looking but it kept on running and this many years later, it is still going. Maybe it’s related to the Energizing Bunny. John called the last day of May and told us Barbara was going into the hospital the next day for surgery. She had been having problems for a long time so we were all hoping this would be the end of her trouble.

I admired Barbara for many reasons and especially for taking such good care of John and L.J. She had health problems in their early marriage which made it hard for her to work and run a household. Every night without fail she went with L.J. to his room at bedtime and read stories to him. It was their little quiet time together. L.J. always treated his books with respect and they weren’t torn and scribbled in like most children’s.

John and Barb have a unique relationship. After all the years they’ve been married, they are still each other’s best friend. Yesterday in John’s blog he noted that it was the day he proposed to Barbara years ago. Now I ask you. How many husbands can say that? Most men are hard put to remember their wedding anniversary, let alone the proposal date.

You can believe me when I say I love my daughter-in-law….she was heaven-sent to our family by way of John and we’ve always been grateful. We were all concerned about her surgery and our minds would be on her the next day………..

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther