<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Sunday, October 23, 2005

HAIL TO THE CHAMPIONS......... 

For John…….written August 1975


Oh Lord, I do not pray for wealth
nor do I pray for ease,
I can’t be happy if I’m idle
or doing what I please.
How can I sing the victor’s song
until I’ve survived the fight?
How can the light of day shine forth
without the dark of night?
Don’t give me a sea that’s placid
with never an angry wave,
How would I ever really know
if the ship I sail is brave?
There’s many a stormy wind to blow
and many a tree will fall,
But only when we’ve held our ground
can we know if we’re big or small.
Don’t let me whimper or run away
let me stand with the brave and best,
With never a thought for what I may lose
I give myself daily to test.
Oh God, I may fail, but please let me try
for to achieve without effort is shame,
I honor you more if I’ve endured the worst
and still can praise your sweet name.


This is in honor of Ben, Ellen and you…….although I wrote it long ago.

Love you….and congratulations on a run “well done”…………….mom