<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

TUESDAY THOUGHTS.......... 

As I usually do when something dreadful happens, instead of sitting down and wringing my hands…….I get busy. When all of this hit and I couldn’t get any word to or from John I picked up a can of paint I bought last Spring….and a paint brush…. and started painting the kitchen. It took two days to wash and paint and add some new touches. Having something to do like a decorating project always makes me happy…..and when I’m waiting for an outcome of the thing I’m worried about, its therapy. I am so thankful our little family of three in Covington was spared loss of life or property. I feel very sad for all the folks who didn’t come out as well….but I know the spirit of the South. They will rise again…..

I dropped my new Kodak EasyShare digital camera right in the middle of our family reunion last month……..of course the lens was out to zoom in the desired shot. It wouldn’t retract….wouldn’t do anything. I was just sick. It was the camera we bought to take pictures at the Boston Marathon when we went east to watch John come over the finish line. I had several other happy recordings from it, the renovation of our front lawn and addition of shutters on the house etc; fortunately they were saved into the computer. I decided this was the time to begin the long journey of repair/new camera so I called…..and called…..and called. Finally was directed to a repair place in Illinois that would be able to fix it. I sent it in and then a few days later got the bad news that it was actually going to cost more to fix it than it would be to buy a new one.

Now I’m a pretty loyal person and I didn’t like the idea of leaving my pet camera in a strange repair shop….but money speaks louder than words as they say….so I called Kodak to voice my concern. I was told I could “trade in” my broken camera on a newer, better model with a better zoom lens. Now I’m back to the starting gate where I was before I ever bought the first one. After the little man sitting somewhere in India explained the benefits as I tried to decipher what he was saying like a broken record……..I opted to buy another one cheaper than fixing the first one. They would send my memory card back and the new camera……..I would only be charged for the great savings on the better camera, shipping and tax. Since I’m from Missouri….the “show me” State…….I’ll hold comment until I take my first bunch of pictures. It is rare when I break or lose something but when I do….it’s usually one big fat mess until I see the end of the struggle.

I would like to express my thanks to all who wrote, called, emailed and offered help in so many ways to John, Barb and LJ. Barb is home once again, LJ is back in class, John is back to work. This gives Barbara the opportunity to check into several new job opportunities she had been mulling over before Katrina hit. John thinks there may be a chance of her getting on at Greenbrier where he works. That would work out nice on the daily drive to the office. Sometimes we have a life changing experience when something like Katrina bears down on us and we find that a lot of good things came out of what looked to be the worst disaster of our lives. I realize my family was spared the flooding that New Orleans had to deal with and my heart and prayers go out to those who are displaced. Help is only getting started…….we Americans are the best when it comes to rallying after a disaster. Neighbor will help neighbor, friend will help friend and the draw from all around the country will help those in dire need.

Tomorrow I shall return to the Esther story where we pick up with the rest of November 1996.……I will be writing about one of the most life-changing events in my personal life. May the sun be shining where you are, wherever you are, in whatever circumstances you are…………

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther