<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, September 30, 2005

THE SEPTEMBER THE WORLD MOURNED....1997 

Diana’s death resounded around the world that day and nations hung their heads in grief for a princess they didn’t even know. She touched hearts with her sad eyes and her yearning for someone to love her the way she could love back. She was mostly betrayed by every man she gave her heart so willingly to……..and died with a man who seemingly had motives other than love.

Humankind sympathized, understanding her tragic life. We have all faced loss on many levels and some of us to her depths. For most of us our stories have a happy ending because we finally find that elusive piece of puzzle that makes our lives complete. Diana never found the last piece.

We were bombarded with TV coverage, theories, intrigue, suspicion, investigations, blame…….she was the object of every chivalrous male who wanted to somehow find justice for her. I think we all wanted justice but it never came. To this day it is one of the most tragic examples of privilege gone wrong.

She had been fascinated with Mother Teresa and found purpose in helping those whose lives didn’t know privilege. She had her star to follow…..and on the day Diana was buried with pomp and circumstance, Mother Teresa died in a shabby Calcutta room. I think Diana’s grief was so great in leaving her two sons…..the two people in her life who adored her as much as she did them….that God brought Mother Teresa to heaven to comfort her. Of course that is a poetic comment, not to be taken as gospel. September went on….the world went on…..even with the most solemn events it seems life goes on like a river that cannot keep from rushing to the sea.

My own life went on and I kept busy with the daily things that require doing. Today is September 30th 2005, and I did the same thing on September 30th 1997 that I am doing today……fixing dinner for a friend of mine who was widowed several months before me. Her health is frail and she enjoys getting out for lunch and the afternoon with me…..then I take her home until the next week. We have been friends for many years and we are as comfortable together as a pair of old shoes. My life seems to be pretty much the same as I note repeating the same events on the same day but different years. I am one who enjoys an orderly life.

I turn to writing for my personal comfort. I go through periods where inspiration overflows and it is important to me to write what I think. I want to remember how I feel about milestones that I pass by and I have always loved the written word. Some speak through music or art but my satisfaction comes through reading or writing. It has the power to lift to heights no other can…….and touches the deepest part of who I am.

Until Monday,
Essentially Esther