<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, September 22, 2005

MARCH....1997 

March came in quietly and I called John on the 2nd for his birthday. He was the big 4-0 this year. Jonathan’s birthday followed on the 11th so I fixed his favorite Green Enchilada Casserole and a cake. He ate until he was stuffed. The month went on and as I made my first rounds back to the different offices, I had nice surprises here and there. One time a red rose was delivered to me from a lady who was a ‘regular’ and another time I was given an angel ornament that I was to keep until I found the right person to pass it on to. Little insignificant but thoughtful offerings were made for some time. The goodness and kindness of people everywhere is never fully understood until it happens to you.

I fixed an early breakfast for Becky before she went to work on the 27th. I took the day off to drive to Fort Leonard Wood to have my I.D. changed. Opal, a friend, went with me just for the drive and for company. We had a nice lunch and came home afterwards. I fixed a supper for Becky and Jonathan (and his Becky) came to help us celebrate. Becky’s favorite food is either Mexican or Pizza so I made accordingly for her. We had a nice evening and gift opening.

The last day of March I switched crews because Pete was without help. I went with him to Alton and we had a nice day. He gave me a Fenton piece for early retirement….he knew I collected it and wanted me to have it…….I didn’t plan to retire until my 65th birthday in May so it was premature but appreciated. Pete was a guy who did things on the spur of the moment and he had a big heart. We had worked together a lot of years and I knew he was dreading my retirement. There were six of us that had been together for my seventeen years with the Patrol. No one wanted to see the old gang broken up. Still, with Bear gone, I had to take care of everything that we had both managed before.

They always say you never know how much a person does until they are gone. Well, that is so true. When I began doing it all it was very apparent it would take all of my time just to keep the basic’s going. Retirement had been a big decision for me. I liked my job very much and I liked everyone I worked with on the crews as well as many friends I made over the years in the out-of-town offices. But it was time to go. My retired friends always told me you would know when the time came. One day I did just that…….decided it was time. Now I was working my last months with the Patrol and would retire June 30th. It was a spot on the calendar that kept getting closer and closer.

Losing Bear and retiring just four months later would be a huge adjustment but I’ve always been one to look to the future without fear. Life only seemed to get better and better as the years went by….I never had any reason to be afraid of things that “might” happen. If they did…….no problem. There would always be a way around. I knew that somehow, something would come along to make it exciting and worthwhile…….and meanwhile I would enjoy the moment of working with some very good people. I don’t mean to imply that I am fool-hearty. I never leap without looking….I always put a foot in the water first…but once my mind is settled on something I am at peace. Life is just the dress rehearsal for something better so if mistakes are made, get over it.

John preached a sermon once that was basically this theme….. “If you fall down, get up, dust yourself off and start all over again.” I have mentioned before how my mother used a proverb for everything. She did it because it made sense out of something unpleasant. Mom would have said, “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.” My mother was a quiet woman who has continued to tutor me even though she has been gone since 1991. Sometimes it’s the still, small voice that is the loudest. When I need direction I listen to things she has said…..she was always proved right…..and she still is.

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther