<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

JUNE 30TH, 1997....MY RETIREMENT 

My retirement day. I would never have believed as a young woman that I would retire from the Missouri Highway Patrol, a Driver Examiner. When I think back on it….it still seems like a dream. I had a lot of jobs in my life and most of them came looking for me…..now it was time for me to pass the baton.

The magical day when you are queen. I was happy to welcome two dear friends from the old neighborhood in Shawnee where the kids grew up…..Gene and Rose Fowler. They came all the way from Emporia, Kansas to be part of the day. George Jr. came and of course, Becky was working so was there as a co-worker and a guest. She has always been able to handle two jobs at once…..not a problem for her.

She had asked the Supervisors if she could “work” with me that last day. She had always been on the other crew except in times when we had to switch for some reason. Ron came early to pick us up and had my prize duck with him. Years ago he promised me he would carve a duck for me and he worked on it off and on, always putting it aside for long periods. The years went by and I forgot about it. On this last day, he brought it with a big grin on his face. It was truly a beautiful duck and although he was quite modest about it I could tell he was pleased with it. He told me he would never make another one so this would be a “lone duck” so to speak. I loved it.

We loaded up and drove to Cabool to pick Joe up and went on to work at Hartville until 11:00 a.m. when we would drive back for lunch and the retirement party. I wasn’t allowed to do much and the time went quickly. Becky took pictures of Ron, Joe and me at the door as we were leaving our last time together. When she snapped the first picture, they told her to take another…..they spontaneously grabbed me from each side and planted a big kiss on each cheek. I wouldn’t take a lot for that picture. I was really going to miss those guys………..

Back at Headquarters things were buzzing. There was quite a crowd as other retirees came that I had worked with, all the brass from Jefferson City and friends. I received a lot of plaques and awards and each came with a glowing description of my association with the Patrol from the Colonel on down to our immediate Sergeant. Then they asked if any one else had anything to say on my behalf so both Supervisors each spoke and Becky came last. I was so blown up with bouquets and compliments I hardly knew myself by the time they were finished. Although all were noteworthy and appreciated…..I was struck by the things that Becky said more than any.

She spoke of my 6 ½ years as a clerk for the crews and my eventual hire as an Examiner. I was the first female Examiner in Troop G and always tried to conduct myself in a way befitting the job and the men I worked with. We had a total of 17 ½ years together and knew each other like a book. They hired Becky next from the clerks position and later two other women. Becky closed by saying I set a high standard for them to follow. Now I ask you….who wouldn’t feel pretty good about themselves, upon hearing those words from your own daughter? In case you don’t have a daughter…..they can be your worst critic. I was feeling pretty good that Becky thought I left a good example.

Next was time for me to say something. I looked around the room at the men from Jefferson City who led all divisions of the Highway Patrol, the many friends and co-workers…..the people I had been close to on all those working days. For the ones not familiar with how we fit in to the program, I explained briefly just what an Examiner does on a daily basis. I then personally thanked the men I had worked with and that I wished I was just starting instead of saying goodbye. They were gentlemen of the highest level and I would truly miss each one. I blew a kiss in their direction and sat down.

People lingered a long time and a lot of pictures were taken of our group, then Ron and Fred took Becky and me home. George and the Fowlers were already here and we came in and had a coke with them…..the guys stayed longer than I expected, they didn’t seem anxious to go at all. Finally, they got up and with farewell hugs all around, they pulled out of the driveway in our crew car, #1575. It was sad to see it leave our drive for the last time.

I came in the house, got out of my uniform into something comfortable and started fixing supper for our guests. It meant a lot to me that Gene, Rosalie, George and Becky were here. John and Barb would have been but with both working and the distance to come, it just wasn’t possible. No matter. There would be celebrating the next time we could all get together. After supper we visited long into the night talking over old times as friends do and enjoying the blessings of the day.

It had been a very special day I would often think of and never forget………..

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther