<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, September 12, 2005

DAYS IN DECEMBER....1996 

Between Katrina, unexpected company, wallpaper turning into a nightmare and a detour to the Flea Market…..I am back. Yes, I know…..I’m late. However, after being gone most of the weekend I looked at our bushes, trees and flowers that were gasping for moisture and went out to water……and water….and water. We are promised rain tomorrow evening but hey!! That’s the weatherman talking…..I need to hear that from a higher source or I’m not believing it. Weathermen lie!! Now I have some paint projects on the docket, men are coming to put a laminated wood floor in the kitchen sometime this week and when the wallpaper comes I shall begin an anxious wait for the girls to come put the paper up. They do such beautiful work they are in big demand and you have to wait your turn. It’s worth it…..albeit I’m not one blessed with lots of patience.

With that out of the way……I’m clearing the deck to go on with Essentially Esther and the terrible journey Bear and I were embarking on…………..

************************************************************************

After having company for so long it seemed strange to be left alone. Thanksgiving and Bear’s birthday had passed in November and now it was just the two of us. We neither knew what was to come…….. and this was unlike any journey we had ever been on before. The destination was known but the time and the long road ahead looked pretty vague. We decided to live day by day and not look too far ahead so in a few days we had our little routine down pretty well. The Hospice nurse came two days a week and another lady came once or twice a week to help with whatever our needs were. We also had a Hospice Chaplain who came and we looked forward to all of them. They were caring and personable.

I checked Bear’s glucose before every meal and at bedtime. I had been shown how to give the insulin shots and was told when and how I should increase or decrease the dose. It was routine after a few tries and we had no problems. Bear was an excellent patient. He could lay hours without being restless or bored. I’m sure I would have been all over the bed and needing something to occupy my mind. He was content. Our trial runs at getting from the bed to the wheelchair were laborious at first but became easier with practice. With Bear’s left leg gone and the left arm useless after the stroke it was difficult but doable. Every morning after eating I bathed him and changed the bedding. Becky started out helping me in the evenings but we had so many visitors during those hours we had to switch to mornings.

As time went on and people kept hearing about Warren’s situation we had more and more visitors. We came to Willow Springs in August 1971 and lived just one lot away from my mother and dad. My folks were well known and liked so it was easy for us to become acquainted in our new town at the time. People who came to see Bear went away blessed because, of course, he told them his story about going to heaven and the message he was to tell everyone about being ready. Each day we had more and more visitors from mid-morning on. I was on hand to welcome them and care for Bear while folks came and went. Our home had become very public but we were blessed to have people come and they were blessed by coming. Normally it is difficult to visit someone who is terminal but Bear’s good humor never stopped and he was honored to have so many callers. I watched people from our town in every walk of life stand by his bed and tell him what he had meant to them…….Bear was more surprised than anybody to think he could be such a good influence to so many. He was humbled and continued to praise the Lord for anything they may have gained from knowing him.

As the days passed I somehow managed to get a little done for Christmas. I didn’t do much because of the shortage of space but I brought in a ceramic tree with lights that George made us the first year we were married. It was cheery and pretty for Bear to see from his bed. I also brought in a little stuffed Christmas Angel I had made my mother some years before. As simple as they were they made the room seem very warm and cozy. We realized we had much to be grateful for.

Many people don’t have the opportunity of knowing when their time is short. They die suddenly and never have the chance to say that last goodbye………or to tell each other things they would like to say before death. We realized we were blessed to be loved and cared for by so many people and their prayers were what kept us both going. At times like that you can literally feel the strength coming to you from beyond. You don’t know who might be praying at what hour……….but you do feel the prayers.

One night as I kissed Bear goodnight and we had our prayer time together, I said, “You know, Bear……..when it’s all said and done, that little prayer we learned as children pretty well says it all”……….and he agreed. So with that thought, I leaned over and whispered in his ear….. “Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep, but if I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.” I turned the light off and kissed Bear goodnight……………..

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther