<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

THE REST OF JULY....1995 

The next day was the 4th of July. George, Jennifer and her husband, Jonathan and his girl-friend, Becky and the two of us managed to bed down between Becky’s house and ours. Everyone wanted a traditional cook-out the next day to celebrate Becky’s home-coming and the Fourth. I went to bed plotting my plan of attack on food preparation. When the family comes home, they have individual favorites and each wants theirs on the menu. Even though I was in my own bed I didn’t sleep well because I kept going over and over what I needed to do. I wanted to have a wonderful day with all of the add-ons.

I was up at the crack of dawn. The cats slept all over us during the night and I was stiff and sore by morning. It was almost a pleasure to get out of bed. After making breakfast for everyone I began on the meal we would have in the evening. Apple pie, cherry pie, chocolate chip cookies, angle food cake w/pink frosting, potato salad, baked beans, burgers and all the chips and dips. If you noticed there was more desserts than anything……you have a glimpse into family preference.

George did the burgers on the grille and we carried all the food to the deck. Surprisingly enough for July 4th it was pleasant with a nice soft breeze. We enjoyed the food and visiting until Becky tired. I looked around at the family gathered there and thought how good God is, knowing how tragically her ordeal could have ended. We had much to be thankful for.

The next day George, Jennifer and Jamie left to return home. Becky was tired from all the company and extra exertion so she stayed with us to rest. After supper she wanted to go home and we walked with her and stayed a little while to do a few things so she could rest. I had to return to work the next day and Becky continued to have her meals with us but stayed home through the day and slept at home. She was beginning to get a better color and getting stronger each day.

People continued to call and we had a lot of visitors back and forth. The temperatures stayed in the 90’s the rest of the month and it was miserable in some of the offices where we worked with no AC…..coming home was a great relief from the heat of the day. I made two batches of lime pickles during the month….my supervisor had an abundance of cucumbers and I was happy to oblige his need to get rid of them. Later I made some zucchini relish which turned out great. I have always loved to “can” and working didn’t allow me to do much of it but when friends had more fruit or vegetables than they could use I rose to the occasion.

Bear took Becky to Springfield several times through the month for checkups. Her doctor wouldn’t release her for CDL duty until her lungs were entirely clear. Don Rockenbach called on his way through town later in the month and Bear and I went out to the truck stop to visit with him a while. He had his own 18-wheeler and was an independent driver…….he called once in a while if he was going through and we would meet him for coffee. I was his contact for the High-School Class activities and I usually had local news from other classmates. Bear was always fascinated with trucking and would have enjoyed going cross country…..Rocky was in awe of Bear’s experience in the Military and so the stories flowed back and forth equally. I made a good listener.

The month ended with typical heat and need for rain. July and August are not our best months in the Ozarks and is the reason many people leave for more suitable climes. Only the most determined stay in spite of the hardships because when those months pass we know life will again become good. My roots are deep in the red clay soil and rocks…….I cannot leave a love so great.

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther