<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, July 08, 2005

NOVEMBER AND DECEMBER....1994 

November was quiet until mid-month when Pete had another heart attack. We had been so concerned for him because he couldn’t seem to get past having another after he came home from the hospital each time. At work we tried to keep our fears down but every station we went to brought concerned questions and discussions. Every body liked Pete…..he never knew a stranger and could go anywhere and bump into someone he knew. It didn’t matter how far away…….he’d always find a friend.

I made sweatshirts for Christmas and that took a lot of my time at home. We had friends in for Thanksgiving so with Becky it made a table setting for six. The day was pleasant and the weather was favorable. The 30th was Bear’s 70th birthday…it just didn’t seem possible. I took the day off and we went to Springfield for a nice dinner and some shopping. It was quiet but nice. Our weather was exceptionally nice….staying in the 60’s most of the time, clear into December.

For once I got our Christmas packages mailed to everyone early. Bear took all of the packages to the Post Office for me and then we started on our many cards to send. It was always the biggest job of the holiday because I continued to write personal letters or notes in all of them. Bear was good to help in that and was a good writer.

The weather turned cold by the 11th of December with temps down to 18* and a sharp wind blowing. I made candy for several days when I wasn’t working and mailed it to the family. It was always the fun part of Christmas for me. I enjoyed making cookies, candy and baked goods so when people came to visit I had something to send home with them. It was a pleasure mom passed on to me. She was forever baking and taking it to someone……

There were Christmas parties at most of our stations during Christmas week. I made a Candy Cane coffee cake, spinach dip and party meat-balls for the one at Van Buren and we enjoyed goodies all day. The guys brought crackers and chips so we snacked all day. I still miss those days. We had a lot of fun working together and we interacted with the other folks in all of the Court Houses and offices that we worked out of. It was just plain fun to work in those days.

Joe and I worked the Friday before Christmas at Eminence. Pete and Corky were both off so Joe and I were left to fill the gap. The Court House closed at noon so we got to come home early. I was glad because George came from Shawnee to celebrate his birthday with us. I made his favorite cherry cobbler and pizza…..he and Bear always fought over the cobbler….it was a favorite of both. George opened his gifts after supper and we had a nice evening just visiting around the tree.

Becky came for breakfast the next morning and we made plans for our Christmas eve dinner and gift opening. Jonathan came for dinner and gifts and we talked with all of our loved ones who couldn’t be with us on the phone. The gifts were appreciated by all and it was a good day. Christmas day came and went, I took a few days off while George was here and went back to work the following Wednesday. George went home with cookies and candy and we settled down to putting the decorations away and nursing colds that we got after Christmas. We didn’t know it then but it would be the last “normal” Christmas we would have…..

Until the next time,
Essentially Esther