<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, July 01, 2005

HAPPY FOURTH TO EVERYONE..... 

As Becky mentioned in her blog this morning we had a turbulent night-fall. The wind tossed the trees like tumble-weeds as they gyrated against an angry sky and torrents of rain. There had been warnings all late afternoon about severe weather and it’s been so dry I kept thinking….. “Bring it on…whatever it takes to get some rain.” Well, I got my wish. After impressive thunder and lightening we got our rain. It pelted against the house in gusts as our cats took safe positions.

Tuffy dove under the chair Morris was sleeping on and Sassy crawled behind me on the couch. In old age, Morris no longer hears thunder, wind or driving rain and sleeps like a baby through storms. Morris had been left under Becky’s porch over 16-years ago when he was about 6-weeks old. His mother deposited him during a similar storm and left. Becky and Jennifer were alerted to his whereabouts the next day when they heard his cries…….he was traumatized from that bad experience until deafness took away his fears……….

The girls brought him here for adoption and we took him in. It was July 1, 1989.…the day of our 40th High School Class Reunion. Bear and I went to the reunion at Cabool later that day when Mr. Rocky showed up for the first reunion since graduation. We had not seen each other since I left Cabool in 1954, the year we moved to Kansas City. No one heard of him or from him in all those years nor knew if he was dead or alive. You never forget your Senior Prom date and Rocky had always been special to me. After that we saw him every few years…….but all that is a story for a different time. Morris is always a “marker” for the day that Rocky was “found” as well………..

Fortunately the storm didn’t produce the huge hail other places had experienced. A picture of teacup sized hail was shown on the local weather report and there was no disputing the size. I cannot imagine the damage ensued from such an onslaught. We were relieved to know Napoleon came through the storm safely. I would imagine he was frightened out of his wits but apparently nature kicked in and he took suitable cover. He is such an amusing fellow…..he’s very curious and inspects everything in his path. If Becky, Rocky or I am in the yard he comes to see what we’re doing and isn’t afraid of us at all. I’m getting so attached to the little guy that I’m hoping he will remain safe and happy until we can find suitable lodging for him.

I have heard from George that he is coming for the holiday weekend so that alters my time for today. I wish each of you a very safe and happy Fourth of July as we celebrate freedom and liberty. So many have died….good, decent and honorable men who have provided the safety and life that we know. Take time to give thanks for them and their ultimate sacrifice…..make sure you never take that for granted.

I will be back after the holiday to resume with June 1994.……

Until then,
Essentially Esther