<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

GETTING BACK ON TRACK.... 

Well, it’s been quite a week. Rocky was getting ready for his big event and then the day came and we had a lot of excitement participating in our first PowerLifting Meet. He was in two events and the rest of us were on the edge of our chairs or taking pictures. It’s like watching a turtle race to see these big guys approaching their favorite weight to lift…..I found out it’s highly individual as they dust their hands, straighten their suits, stare at the weight they are about to tackle, psych themselves up, wiggle their fingers and then approach the bench or the bar. It can be intoxicating to watch the ones who compete on a regular basis. My Rocky just walked up, got a good grip and lifted. He hasn’t learned the intricacies of showmanship yet and knowing him like I do, it won’t be happening.

It took me a while to edit all of the pictures I took and send them to relatives and pals. John was kind enough to paste a couple of the pertinent ones to my post. Since then I have been on the go to medical and dental appointments, sometimes with Rocky, sometimes with Becky. Today is my first day at home and you can guess I have a lot of catching up to do.

I am so very grateful that our eating right and exercising has paid off. All of our doctors were happy with us and our stats are better than they have ever been. I am sad in one regard….my lifelong love affair with ice-cream is about over. It has been a reluctant lover to leave but I have been on fresh fruit and vegetables long enough that it no longer has the hold on me it once did. Yesterday when we were finished with our appointments I decided to have ice-cream to celebrate. It had been about two weeks since I’d eaten any. I chose a hot-fudge sundae…..usually the ultimate in treats for me. To my disappointment I had to force it down. Bells and whistles went off and my inner person said, “Why ARE you doing this? It doesn’t taste good, it isn’t healthy and you wasted your money.” Since we were in the car I had to finish it or throw it out……I told Rocky (who only had a single dip cone)….. “that’s probably the last one of these I’m having in a long, long time.”

I hate falling out of love but I’m afraid I have developed a new love that my doctors will approve of….sensible eating. I am no longer a slave to something I needed to put out of my life and that’s a ‘good’ thing. Rocky’s nutrition as a diabetic and power lifter is in my hands so since I’m an informed cook I do have a plan……

Thank you for all the congrats and good wishes. ‘Yo Rocky’ is getting used to his titles and trying to understand all the fuss. Heck……..he used to throw full cans of milk (one in each hand) into his truck on the old milk route and hauled furniture cross country, all in his younger life. He’s always worked hard and done a lot of heavy lifting……..not in the gym. He is learning a different “lift” these days and having a lot of fun with the young guys who treat him like their mascot. Life can be good, even in the golden years………….get out there and look for your gold.

Until tomorrow when we return to Esther’s journey,
Essentially Esther