<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, June 06, 2005

THE SHAWL.....MY GIFT 

Monday, Monday. Even us retired folks dread Monday’s. Why? Because we let everything go last week, thinking we would get it all done….THIS week. However, as each week goes by…..we always put it off until the “next Monday.” At some point in this practice, THE Monday rolls around where you just can’t put it off any longer. That is where I find myself today. I decided to get a blog written and then attack the long list of priorities. Someone has obviously screwed up the system and now there are three Monday’s to every week, instead of one. Must have been a government project…they never get anything right.

I just had a conversation with a dear friend of many years who now lives back in Emporia, Kansas. Wanted to thank her for a very special shawl she made for my 73rd birthday. It seems the ladies group at her church adopted a program of knitting/crocheting shawls for special people. They cannot be sold, but given, to people in some kind of need, life changing crisis….or birthday. I fell into the birthday category….(for which I am grateful.) I have had my share of trauma in past years and believe me, birthdays are better than trauma. A history of shawls and a birthday blessing came with the gift….an impact of the reason and the love that comes with the shawl.

Rosalie is a special person who lived across the street from us for many years in Shawnee, Kansas, and our children grew up together. We shared many occasions but the ones I enjoyed most were the quiet times when we shared a cup of coffee together and knit, crocheted or quilted together. Our time was never wasted because we kept our fingers busy. Our hopes, dreams and dilemmas were talked over and put to rest during our visits. And so, the shawl I received has been prayed over, individually by each lady before it came to me, and the dear hands of my friend brought it to completion. You cannot buy or sell friendships like that.

Today is catch-up day for me so tomorrow I will resume with 1992.….beginning with the month of May. Hummmmmm……my favorite month. There is so much more to tell about the life and times of Esther Belle………..sorry. I love rhymes.

Until then,
Essentially Esther