<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, June 13, 2005

SEPTEMBER THROUGH DECEMBER....1992 

Fall was very much normal this year. I painted more rooms and Bear did all the moving and picking up that painting entails. We bought a new kitchen set for our newly painted kitchen and it finished off the project nicely. As we finished the living room we added two new wing-back chairs to that room. We were delighted with the finished project.

Of course, football IS fall. At least in our house. We enjoyed college ball on Saturday’s, Pro-football on Sunday’s and Monday night football. Where most wives are widows on week-ends, I had to plan my work to see the games. When October rolled around, Gail made arrangements to fly back for a visit. It was her custom to come every year at birthday time to put flowers on Louis’ grave. I felt sorry for her because his grave was so far away for her…..I always found it comforting to visit the cemetery with fresh flowers and to linger a while. She could only do that once a year.

While she was here we took her to Carthage, MO. where the Precious Moments Chapel is. The grounds are lovely and the special decorating that Sam Butcher is doing all over is phenomenal. His artistic work is truly inspired and that sense is evident in everything he puts his hand to. It is an ongoing work he is giving back to the many people who have purchased his art forms over the years, but more importantly it’s a dedicated work back to God.

We went to Branson one day to take in a “show” before her visit was over. We decided to see the Osmonds and it was an excellent choice. Those men can play any instrument, as well as sing and put together a great “heartfelt” show. We enjoyed the area as long as we could….it was a long road home. I had to work the next day but Bear took Gail to the airport for an early flight.

Into November Bear finished up all the leaf gathering and cleaned the garage. His favorite way to clean was to move everything outside of the garage, sweep it out with the shop vac….then hose it down good. Everything was cleaned before going back in. It would be quite a task for any guy but considering it was done by Bear was exceptional. He could do more with one leg and crutches than a lot of guys who were walking around on two legs. There were few things that he couldn’t do.

It was a small Thanksgiving. It was just the two of us, Becky and Jonathan, but a good meal and a relaxing day. Becky fixed a German meal for Bear’s birthday a few days later…..a surprise….and he complimented her on her fine meal. She followed the cookbook to the letter and did a great job. Early in December we put our tree up and decorated the house for the holidays. Locally, we had been having a lot of rain which was causing flooding in the low areas around and the ponds were all out of their banks.

I had been having headaches and feeling unusually tired all the time…..my doctor, tested for several reasons and discovered I had an extremely low thyroid count. He said it was a wonder I hadn’t been brought to him on a stretcher. I had supposed it was just the holidays with all of the events connected with that so I was amazed when I felt so much better in a small space of time. I had been dragging my way through the past few months and now I was like a new person. It’s amazing what a little pill will do.

December ended with freezing rain and sleet. I was working about 93-miles from home on a Thursday which was the last day of December. My supervisor decided we’d better pack it up and head back so that’s what we did. I enjoyed the extra time I inherited that afternoon and headed for the warmth of home. A nice way to usher out the old year………….

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther