<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, June 20, 2005

FATHER'S DAY AT THE ROCKENBACH'S 

We hope all the dad’s out there had a nice Father’s Day. Rocky has been getting presents weekly from me for the big day….I kept seeing things he could use or would find interesting. I still have one to come that will be a huge surprise and I’m anxious for it to arrive. It’s on “hold” until they can fill the order. I can’t tell you what it is until it comes and he sees it. You never know who might be looking in on the mail………

Becky has been clueing you in on the “big bird” that arrived a few days ago. I have to laugh when I think how fast I ran to get the camera, afraid it would fly away before I could get his picture. This is the fifth day he has been here and doesn’t look like he’s in any notion of leaving.

As for Father’s Day, Rocky was honored royally. He received cards from my three “kiddo‘s” and a phone call from Janet, his daughter in California. Rocky’s son and daughter Holly, and her family, came from 3-hours away and Becky joined us. We stuffed ourselves with Mexican fare and enjoyed cheesecake much later when we could eat again. We spent the afternoon trying to lure the peacock into captivity but efforts failed miserably. We found him to be a sly old bird who had no notion of being caught and taken away from his new domicile. Becky has herself a new friend who seems intent on staying with her.

It was a very nice family day and a day for all of us to remember our own dads. Mine had a pretty rough time keeping food on the table and worked harder than anyone I know…..for a lot less. It has to be difficult for a man who realizes the responsibility of a wife and children and wonder how he’s going to keep it all together. Life is hard for any wage-earner and back when we children were growing up women didn’t work outside the home. There was no “extra” income…but a family we were and given life and good examples we are still kicking and attempting to “give back” to the generations coming on.

I hope your day was filled with love and happy memories………

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther