<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, May 13, 2005

OCTOBER'S BEGINNING....1991 

Mom was spending more time in bed now when we went to see her. Sitting in the wheel-chair for long periods worsened the edema in her feet and lower legs….she was more comfortable in bed. They decided she didn’t have Shingles…I personally thought it was because they left her in wet diapers too long. I knew it would not benefit mom to voice an opinion because they would give me “lip service” and do as they pleased when I left. I had been around the nursing home for over five years now and I knew how they talked about families who wanted “special treatment” for their loved ones. There are wonderful, caring Aides who do a service to the residents and then there are those who are very negligent to say the least.

Sometimes mom would be in her wheel-chair eating an ice-cream cone or candy and cookies. She hadn’t lost her sweet tooth and still enjoyed the “goodie cart.” I had scheduled vacation to go to John and Barb’s for a visit. With mom’s health situation worsening I felt I’d better go so I would be back if things became serious. We just needed to get away for a few days for a change of scenery. It seemed work and the hospital/nursing home filled every day. I had a tough time leaving….knowing how mom loved going….but couldn’t.

The road to Louisiana was familiar now and a trip we enjoyed. Going to the new home of John and Barb’s was something we had looked forward to. They were blessed with a lot of space and a big yard. We were, of course, happy for them.
We spent a few days visiting and going to our favorite places. My brother’s wife, Gail flew in from Seattle to spend a couple of days with all of us. We filled up on seafood and did lots of shopping around the French Quarter.

Gail and I especially liked a restaurant in the Garden District of New Orleans where we were treated to Po Boy Salads. The food and service were excellent. Sorry to know the place is no longer there…..at least as it was then. Time changes things. Since this was our last day, John suggested dinner at a restaurant situated on one of the rivers. We enjoyed soft lights and the sound of water close by…….more delicious seafood. There was a homecoming party going on for a large group so we had to wait for a time but the ambiance and starlit evening provided a nice respite.

Gail came home with us to see mom and to put flowers on Louis’ grave. She needed to touch base and spend a few days with us. I had to work the next day but that evening we went out to see mom. She was excited to see me and seemed more like her old self. I think she knew Gail but I couldn’t be sure…..her attention was towards me. I have to confess…..it felt good. There had been so many times it was like visiting an elderly lady I didn’t even know. I felt orphaned long before I became physically orphaned. To see love coming from mom’s eyes was a very precious gift.

Gail stayed two days and had tickets to fly home to Seattle on the 16th of the month. I woke at 2:00am very restless and couldn’t get back to sleep. I got up at 4:00am to get Gail and Bear off to the airport for a 7:00am flight out. As I was getting ready for work, WC called and said mom’s blood pressure spiked real high, with low pulse. They had her on oxygen and needed my approval for them to give her a pain shot of Demerol and something else. I agreed. After Bear and Gail left, Becky took me out to WC to see about mom. I decided I needed to stay and Becky called to inform my supervisor.

Mom slept well for an hour and a half. I sat in the recliner in her room and I dozed off as well. When she woke up she was hungry and I was astonished at what she ate. They brought lunch to both of us and she drank her milk, my milk, a dairy shake, a bowl of ham and beans and bread and butter. She even took her pill….(had not eaten or taken medication since last night.) She slept on and off during the afternoon and I left around suppertime. Uncle Buster called to tell us the car was in and he had it ready for Bear to come get it. He would be on the road early again the next morning for Blair, Nebraska.

We were up at 5:00am the next day and Bear left by 6:00am. I called about mom and the nurse told me she made it through the night with normal vital signs so I decided to go on to work. That evening Becky and I went to see mom and she was restless when awake or else asleep. She went from one to the other. Her poor little body didn’t know whether to wake up or go to sleep. When she fell into a deep sleep we left……Bear called to tell me he arrived safe and would be coming home the next day.

The house was quiet. It was rare for me to ever be alone……..

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther