<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

AND THE BEAT GOES ON..... 

Birthday week is lingering on. I’m still hearing from friends and relatives who were involved with the Memorial Day long weekend and then remembered it was my birthday. That’s fine with me. We spent most of the holiday time out in the yard so some of the well-wishers couldn’t get hold of me.

Becky did the yearly “surprise party” that I expect. I would REALLY be surprised if she didn’t do it some year. Hummmm…..wonder if she’s ever thought of that? George and Murphy, (his Westie), arrived before Becky had a stoke wondering why he was so late. I knew she was hyped about something…hey! I raised that girl. She can’t hide TOO much from me…..albeit, there have been a few misfires here and there. There was so much food we sat on the deck two afternoons trying to eat up the picnic fare. Refrigerators were heaped to the hilt and I guess it was a bit over the top, even for nine of us. We’re all getting smarter about eating and don’t stuff ourselves to the gills anymore. Well…….most of the time….little slip there.

Two things that REALLY did surprise me; John’s beautiful picture collage of me from little to old. Yikes, what “time” did to that little, shy girl. I used to hide behind mama’s legs when a stranger came along and peek around to get a look at whoever. Maybe that was a good idea, considering how small children are carted off these days playing in their own yards.

Second big surprise was a phone call from Ellen Crush. I was knocked out of my socks when Becky yelled at me to come answer the phone, “Ellen is calling.” I ran in the house to hear her voice for the first time. It matches her writing. There is a bell-tone to it, along with a hint of laughter that wants to bubble out….a joyous note, I can imagine she sings well…..and her usual humor. Friendship is a word that only fit’s a few people in your life. You know. The special friendships. She has become one of my own over the months and I found out she’s smarter than the average type Bear. She found my phone number on the internet. Modern times and ingenuity…..amazing.

Not to discredit all of the wonderful folks who took time to write, call, visit…..the gifts and the cards……..each and every one is special. Dale didn’t know it but he gave me a special gift also. When we visited at length on my birthday, I told him I (and lots of others) were missing his funny stories on the blog. He isn’t one to do something just to be one of the bunch……..when he gets the urge and idea at the same time…..we are blessed with his funny, funny stories. Well, this morning just for kicks, I checked his blogsite and B_I_N_G_O there we was. He is so “right on” about his mother. Aunt Beulah, if you remember, is my Auntie Mame…..no other words fit.

Yesterday, Rocky, Becky and I borrowed the neighbor’s trailer again and went back to the nursery in West Plains. While Rocky was getting the trailer filled, Becky and I browsed the lot and found some very different add-ons for our yard. I ended up with a van load and this evening after it cools down we will begin planting once more. We also have to get back to the gym so that will come before the planting. We can do our workouts in AC while the afternoon heat is cooling down and then it’s out in the yard.

Yesterday when we got back home with our stuff we laid lawn fabric around Becky’s planting…(I quit on that after we did the front) and then she scooped wheel barrows full of mulch and I placed it around the plants. It was a long, hot job but we stuck with it until we were finished. She will add the rest of the mulch tonight when she gets home so as to use it up. She will have a pretty yard once she gets her little patio made with paving stones…..

This morning I watered everything thoroughly and pulled some weeds……now when I finish this blog I will begin inside work until Rocky is home and ready to leave for the gym. I hope your big week-ends were as much fun as ours and that you have a good day today……..wherever that takes you. Tomorrow I plan to begin with the year….1992 as we walk along the journey together………

Until then,
Essentially Esther