<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, March 31, 2005

KITS AND CATS.......... 

Yesterday I wrote a blog about the funeral of my brother. It was a laborious task as anyone knows who has lost close family members. As I was about to publish, the computer kicked it off and I was looking at a blank monitor. At first I felt disbelief, then anger and then frustration. It seems even to record the passing of a loved one, at times, is difficult. As I contemplated my next action a lot of thoughts raced through my head. It was a busy day and I wouldn’t have time to re-write another. I got up and began getting ready for the next job of the day…..penciled in with a short time-span before leaving for the morning.

My mother used to say, “When it rains, it pours.” She was so, so right. Our cat, Morris, threw up on the rug twice on Easter Sunday, our little Sassy cat threw up twice and Tuffy was having severe hair-ball problems. He put designs on the carpet that were amazing. He couldn’t keep anything on his stomach. Last week he was introduced to power laxatives that made his life miserable for the three days he was to have them. Over Easter week-end he was dehydrated, sick and just stayed in the closet where he made a bed out of my raincoat, waiting to go to the cleaners.

Monday morning I took him to the Vet who took several tests….Tuffy‘s temperature was*104 and Doc thought he should stay over night for observation. The look on his face made me exceedingly fearful. I lost Jakie to kidney failure and I sure didn’t want to lose another pet that way. I was on high alert until the next noon when the Vet would have news from the tests to determine further treatment. They gave him an IV for fluids, antibiotics and something for pain………I was able to bring him home on the second day and I was very grateful the little buddy was OK. He is a very sweet little pal.

Missy, our cat who 18-months ago came down with a strange, slow moving paralysis, is very near death. I have had her in the house for 15-months, spoon feeding her at least four times a day and carrying her to the litter box….carrying her back. She was able to eat two small cans of cat food all that time until over a week ago. Almost overnight she refused food down to one can a day. Many times she would leave me with her food dish in my hand and feeling very helpless. I cannot describe my fight and determination to keep her from dying but this week I knew it was near time to make a decision to put her to sleep. I kept hoping she would just go to sleep peacefully so I wouldn’t have to make the call. On Tuesday I told the Vet to give me an appointment this Saturday morning.

I plan to take her out on the deck as much as I can the next couple of days because she was always our little outside kitty and I’m sure she has missed her outside world. As I write, she is asleep on a pillow in the living room. Very peaceful but her breath is very shallow and she breathes partly from her mouth. I became increasingly sure that at this point it may be better for her to be put to sleep. I would not want to see her fight for her breath.

In view of my kitties and some friends who are either sick or unable to get well, I forgot my frustration about the blog. I will be spending much of today and tomorrow with Missy so I will be back when I’m able. For sure, after Saturday she will at last be free to run and roam and will not know a sick-bed again. She will meet the Maker of all kitties and be happily waiting for me on another day…….

Until next time,
Essentially Esther