<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, March 04, 2005

APRIL AND MAY....1988 

Easter was early in April. I fixed a traditional dinner on the first Saturday for the family and after church on Sunday we drove down to aunt Beulah’s for the afternoon. It was such a pretty day we picked mom up to go with us. She enjoyed being out, and it’s a very scenic drive down to north Arkansas. I took cookies and a stuffed teddy bear I made for aunt Beulah, which she loved. She had a pie and some ice-cream so we enjoyed that with coffee and a good visit.

It was an especially pretty April this year. Everything bloomed to capacity and we took several drives out in the country to enjoy the spring calves, lambs, goats and colts. They felt so good they would kick up their heels and run-a-round mama with the siblings joining in. A slow drive on back roads is truly good for the soul. Mom loved nature and the redbuds and dogwoods were at their peak. We drove out to Tyrone on one such trip and she enjoyed looking at our old farm and remembering. Forty years has a way of changing everything but your memories……

Later in the month, aunt Beulah, her friend LaDonne, mom, Becky and Jennifer came for lunch and the afternoon, one Saturday. Becky, Jennifer and I did a lot of walking over at the school track…..it was good weather for it and we all felt like we needed to get some healthy exercise. April is Spring turkey hunting so we worked short-handed for weeks……I was glad when the season closed. Since I didn’t hunt, it meant I had a long stretch of having to double up for those on leave. I felt like I was on vacation when they all came back.

Spring in south Missouri also brings more than the pretty side of nature. We are usually pelted with severe storms that can get right down mean and ugly. From Easter until mid-June we watch the rainy skies for hail, wind and tornadoes. I always joke and say….“living in a mobile home sure improves your prayer time“…they are notoriously known for being “the pick” for tornadoes. I think they have magnets built in to draw them…….mobile homes get unfair treatment in storms. We have had some come too close for comfort.

I had a birthday dinner for mom but she was complaining of pain in her leg….and didn’t enjoy the day very much. The leg continued to bother her during the month and we had repeated doctor visits, with medication and shots. She had damaged a tendon around her knee area but her legs and feet both turned a bad color. Naturally I was concerned and we spent a good deal of time making sure she was improving. It was slow, but she did get better.

The day before my birthday, Warren drove to Newman Grove, NE. for aunt Martha’s 90th birthday party. I wasn’t able to go and encouraged him to go without me. George drove down to spend my birthday with me as he usually did. Becky and Jennifer came to have supper with us and to visit with George. That same week-end, my cousin Mark and his new wife Maggie, stopped by to visit. They were on their honeymoon and camping in Missouri was part of their plans. After a nice weekend together, George, Mark and Maggie left on Monday and I was a year older. Warren called and was on his way home as well. May ended with a happy note and summer was just beginning……life was good.

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther