<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

OCTOBER 1986 

If September was the harbinger of bad news, October was a settling down time. It is the month of the new year in our particular church and so there were many meetings and positions to fill. After years of ending up with multiple jobs I found it safer to be on the nominating committee. All you had to do then, is find someone else to do the job. However, at the end of the unfilled list….those of us on the committee usually took what was left rather than collar someone who would decidedly say “no thanks.” It was easier than making time for more meetings.

I wonder if it is the same in all the churches. The good old folks who care about getting things done are the ones who are singled out for another “go” at it. I wasn’t by myself in being over committed to positions…it seemed the same ones of us constantly answered the higher calling. With my mother in the nursing home, a full-time job, teaching a Bible Study Class every Monday night in our home and entertaining friends with dinners all through the week I learned how to think on my feet as the chores were being honed. Choir practice, Missionary meetings and teaching Sunday School……..being on several committees and finding time to get it all done….was a challenge.

In these days I was still going by WC after work, to see mom for a little while. She oftentimes had some need to be taken care of. Warren did all of the paper work because he was adept at detail work that I hated. I did her laundry and shopped for things she wanted. We had her out almost every Sunday unless the weather was bad, then we ate with her in the dining room that was a little more private for families to visit their loved ones.

When we found out about aunt Mary’s cancer, I committed myself to write her a note each day. It wasn’t a big deal….I could write a few words at work……mostly about little things I thought would amuse her and keep her abreast of what we were doing. There were always things about mom I could write to her. I thought it would be nice to have mail every day so she would know she wasn’t forgotten. I also hoped it would give her a little something to look forward to. Aunt Mary and I had a close relationship and it was tough not to be able to pop in on her and help her out.

She came home from the hospital later in the month and when mom was visiting us the next Sunday we phoned so the two of them could talk to each other. It was good for them to be able to communicate because it happened so quickly, mom didn’t have a chance to visit with her before the surgery. It was heart wrenching to listen to mom’s end of the conversation and for us to piece together what aunt Mary was saying on the other end. They had gone their whole life though as “together” as you could be with the distance that separated them in later years. Sisters are a close society.

I have noted that October this year was rainy which always made the job harder to give driving tests. The timber wasn’t going to be very pretty this year because of the rain….a lot of trees were just turning brown. My brother was 58-years on the 9th of October and my uniforms for DE came in on the 15th. It was just in time for our yearbook pictures the next day. The guys I worked with fussed over me, making sure I was hitched up correctly…checking my brass, my tie and showing me how to properly wear my cap. I was put through the basic skills of being a professional…I felt like their real live “dress up” doll by the time they finished with me. They highly approved of my appearance and I was one of them now…..not only in heart but apparel too.

It is a sentimental journey to write of these days gone by. I suppose because I am in the future now from where I’m writing…….and I know the “end of the story” ahead. It makes me appreciate the many good things God has allowed in the past and gives me great hope for the future, because I have been shown so many times that He is always there for each and every one of us. That is a truth to stand on…..

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther