<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

NOVEMBER....1986 

On the first day of November I got up early and made a Red Bank breakfast. Mom and dad spent a lot of time at their favorite fishing place on Lake Norfork, camping and enjoying nature. A Red Bank breakfast always meant biscuits, bacon and eggs, fresh fried apples and lots of hot coffee. Ever so often, mom would get “cabin fever” at WC and we’d go get her for a welcome change. This particular Saturday was one of those times, she loved her breakfast. All the time we were growing up she would have a good hot breakfast, stating that it was the most important meal of the day. I still miss hearing her stir up pancakes, or eggs sizzling in the skillet while I lay in bed on cold mornings. I realize now what a luxury that was. Life is a lot different when you are the one to rise up and start the day for the family.

After breakfast and a second cup of coffee while we visited at the table, I got the phone and called aunt Mary, each of us taking a turn to talk with her. Sally, their younger sister had gone home two weeks earlier and aunt Mary sounded weak and tired. She was still in the hospital. Later that morning we walked up to mom’s house and she went through some things and had me dig up a rose bush that grandma had given her money for at one time. It was an identity thing for mom between the rose and grandma. I dutifully dug it up so she wouldn’t worry about it and we planted it in our yard. We took mom back to WC late in the afternoon.

The 15th was the beginning of deer season and the 12th year that dad had passed away. It just didn’t seem possible. The day was cold and sleet had frozen on the ground…I went out with Jakie and I could hear shots fired all around. I always hated to see pickups come through town with the dead carcasses in the back. Men would flock to see and hear about the big event….it just made me feel terrible for the beautiful animal. I never took the meat people would offer….I don’t enjoy it and it is useless to take it. Better for the ones who like the meat.

The next day after church I baked some cookies to take to mom, Emma and another friend of mom’s who stayed at WC. It’s hard for most women to give up their cooking. I remember in the movie about Corrie ten Boom….the women talked about how they fixed certain dishes as they were subjected to terrible conditions. It was a way to keep their sanity while they labored in the harsh cold. In one scene one of the women became angry because another used different spices and didn’t agree with her recipe. It was a sad analogy in a desperate situation. My mother was such a good cook and did it so easily….her hands would work over the food as if caressing it…I don’t know, she just had such a gentle quality about her. In my mind I can see her preparing meals and feel the enjoyment as she brought her offerings to the table.

Mom didn’t get to enjoy pretty dishes and good pots and pans….or even have a very functional kitchen most of her life, but her attention to the meal was as if she were serving in the best of tableware. The phrase, “We never knew we were poor,” was certainly true at home. The fare that we ate no doubt outdid many a fancy table in the best of homes. It was fun to take cookies to the ladies because they would give you such a pretty smile and talk about the bygone days when they baked and that brought memories of their families. If I am ever in a Nursing Home I pray that I have some friends there who will share recipes with me.

On the 21st, we drove to Springfield to see Jennifer’s high school musical of “Fiddler On The Roof”…..she was one of the dancers and part of the crowd throughout. It wasn’t a “star” part by any means but we were just as proud as if she had the lead in it. Afterwards we enjoyed pizza together and stayed over night with Becky and the children. The next day we all went to breakfast at Steak and Shake….a good breakfast place…you know the kind. It tasted good but was full of “no no’s”….heart attack on a plate but it was oh so good. The time spent with Jennifer, Jonathan and Becky was always fun.

I had a Thanksgiving meal for the two of us and mom. The rest of the family couldn’t come due to having to work on Friday. After our meal we called our family all over the country and enjoyed hearing about their day. The next day I took advantage of time off from work and did mounds of Christmas baking. I spent two days getting the traditional things made…and again, I took mom to the cemetery so we could put poinsettias on dad’s grave. While we were there one of the men dad used to work with came strolling by and said…. “I talk to Andy every time I come by on my walks”….. as he went on, a bird lit on dad’s gravestone….we were within a few feet of it and just stood there looking at it. Mom said she guessed dad wanted to tell us hello……….

Warren celebrated his 62nd birthday on the 30th and we had a nice meal….the family called later to wish him well and then we drove out to WC to visit mom. The weather was turning cold and the leaves were almost down…..winter was on it’s way.

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther