<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, February 17, 2005

MAY.....1987 

May brought aunt Beulah for a visit and we went after mom so the two of them could see each other; Becky and Jennifer joined us for dinner and it was good family time. Aunt Beulah and mom used to stay back and forth with each other but mom’s move to WC made that impossible. I know they missed each other but getting together at our house was about all we could do. They were as close as sisters and were a big part of each other’s lives.

Mom’s birthday was coming up on the 12th and I decided to make it a big surprise party. Unknown to her, I had invited uncle Tom, aunt Inabelle, uncle Buster, aunt Phyllis and aunt Sally. I worked ahead of time making cookies and getting a cake….planning a meal for the evening they would arrive…..and doing lots of cleaning. They arrived within an hour of each other and there was a lot of excitement and anticipation about the next day. Becky and Jennifer joined the family for our evening meal and the next morning she had all of us up to her place for a good breakfast, before going out to spring our surprise.

Becky went ahead of us to keep mom occupied until we were able to file into the dining room. After a few minutes, she walked her down the hall where we were. When she rounded the corner she looked at the group of us who were standing in a little cluster smiling at her, and she smiled back, politely…..then did a “double-take”….. it dawned on her who we were and she almost fainted. She grabbed her chest with her hand and for a minute I was afraid the surprise might backfire on us and cause her harm, but she gained her bearings and was understandably overcome with joy. The laughter and hugging that went on was just wonderful….worth every minute of my efforts.

Some of the girls who worked at WC had given mom cards and gifts and were standing around watching the fun. They had been “in” on it as well and had big smiles on their faces. We surrounded mom with love the whole day and it is still a pleasure to remember. She stayed with us until time for her to go back that evening…she was very tired after all the excitement. Becky took her “home” and got her settled in.

The next day I went back to work, uncle Buster, aunt Phyllis and aunt Sally left for Nebraska, Warren went to Springfield to pick up his new glasses and Becky entertained uncle Tom, aunt Inabelle and mom here at home. Becky received a call that she would begin her new clerking job on the 19th….it was indeed good news. I fixed supper for us when I came home and we had another evening of visiting. John called and was to have surgery on his left eye soon. Hopefully it would enable him to have up to 40% more depth perception. We were all happy for him and hopeful of good results.

The next morning I was up early to fix breakfast for uncle Tom and aunt Inabelle before they were to leave. Corky picked me up to go to work and life returned to normal for a few days. We had our pastor and family for dinner the night before Warren was to have carpal tunnel surgery at Fort Leonard Wood. When they amputated his leg in 1980, the surgeon told me that Warren broke the straps holding him on the operating table and sat straight up. Of course he was anesthetized and wasn’t conscious of the fact but they had to strap him down so tight on the table, it inevitably caused carpal tunnel.

A friend drove him to the Fort the next day and since the surgery was routine we decided that I’d go ahead and work. George came for a visit and we drove to the Fort to see Warren on the week-end, a friend brought Warren home a few days later. The guys at work took me to a nice dinner at noon on my birthday and one of the guys brought a cake. I was always amazed at their thoughtfulness.

Warren and I took mom, Becky and Jennifer to West Plains for my birthday celebration…….and on the week-end, Becky fixed a nice meal for all of us. It seemed we had celebrated all month for one reason or another. Warren’s wrist was doing well…….he had a special arm crutch since he couldn’t use his wrist…he continued with the physical therapy until he was able to get back on his fore-arm crutches.

The mind is a wonderful invention. I am so thankful I can call forth the many happy times of our loved ones. They are great company as well as comfort when I remember the wisdom and the knowledge they shared with us along the way. Each day I live their memory guides me along paths they’ve already traveled…..

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther