<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

JUNE....1986 

June came in with 10-straight rainy days. It only helped the dark cloud that formed after mom went to Willow Care. Aunt Beulah and her sister, Mildred came by to visit and we went out to see mom. Aunt Beulah and Mildred had been to Arizona to visit their brother and came back up through Arkansas where aunt Beulah lived for a few days….then Mildred wanted to catch the bus home to Omaha, from our bus station.

When we arrived at Willow Care (WC) mom was in the large dining room playing Bingo. A lady from our church was a volunteer and several of the residents were friends of mom’s so she was beginning to feel at home. While we on-looked, mom won a prize and she was really excited. It was the first of many after that. Sammy, who was calling the numbers, kept on until everyone won something. Other volunteers were helping some of the more handicapped folks by watching their numbers and putting a bean on the card. Everyone seemed to be having fun.

Mom’s first visit was to our house on the 13th of June. She was naturally happy to go for a ride and to see familiar places again. We had her here for a couple of hours the first time….she began getting fidgety and thought she should go back. We drove by the cemetery because she wanted to see dad’s grave. We stayed a few minutes and then she was content. When she arrived back at WC people greeted her like she’d been gone for a week….it was wonderful to watch the residents care for and about each other. The more able ones helped the ones who needed assistance and they functioned as a family. I was getting well acquainted also…..up until now I had only missed one day of visiting mom.

On the 16th of June I put in my application for the position of Driver’s Examiner I. The men I worked with encouraged me to go for it….I felt it wouldn’t be possible because, as I’ve mentioned before….there had never been a female DE in our Troop. However, after much urging I did apply and the closing for applications was the following Friday, 4-days away. The next week I was called in to the office and told I was one of five considered for the position and would need to report before an Oral Interview Board. I had recurring fits of nerves when I would think about it but decided to give it my best shot and let fate take it’s course.

The month finished up visiting mom each day and bringing her to our house for a visit and for meals of favorite foods she longed for. The food at WC was actually pretty good because they had a good cook…but mom would get hungry for things she was fond of….nothing special, just simple foods she missed. She was bathed and “made up” every day, went to the beauty shop once a week and participated in the activities.

We were all getting used to a different routine and it was working out as good as it could with mom having to be in WC now. Meanwhile I was waiting to find out who was selected for the DE job and I was getting more anxious with each day. June finished with no word but there was plenty to keep my mind occupied. I began having thoughts about actually getting the job. In fact, now I was beginning to hope I did. June wasn’t the month to know. That would happen one week later……

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther