<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, February 10, 2005

DECEMBER....1986 

Actually, December was a little low key this year. The month started out slow. I had mom out a lot to enjoy the candy making and Christmas baking. She came often and left with treats for Emma and for her. It was good to have her sitting at the table, enjoying the sunshine and watching the birds in between batches of candy.

On the 17th the guys at work treated Neva, our clerk, and me to a pizza lunch which was totally unexpected. When they dropped me off after work I was surprised with a lovely Poinsettia plant they had delivered. To say I was overwhelmed would be accurate. The men I had the privilege of working with were thoughtful and considerate. I enjoyed their gentlemanly treatment of me…..and still I was one of the “bunch” because I wore the “brown.”

I was the oldest of the crews except for one Supervisor. Three of them were George’s age, which made them seem like my “boys” and a couple were five and six years behind me. Their mother’s raised some good, respectful guys and work was totally fun in those days. Each office we worked at had people who looked forward to our coming and were glad to join in with the good humored tomfoolery. I don’t think anyone has more fun than a group of guys who put their heads together to pull a prank. It just seems second nature to them. Of course they always enjoyed our laughter at their shenanigans….and many times I found myself the target of their fun. They often told me…. “guys don’t ‘mess’ with people unless they like them”…..I figured they must like me a lot. I was a good ploy for them.

The usual activity of the cards, gift wrapping, dinners for friends, church programs and the cantata came and went. George was 36-years old this year on the 22nd. We were looking forward to his visit. Mom had some kind of a bug and didn’t want to come out until George was here….he spent Christmas Eve with his dad and his wife, then drove here Christmas morning. He was sporting a new car….I know it was a beautiful cranberry red but I don’t know what “make.” He’ll have to refresh me on that. Warren was very impressed with it and of course the two of them went over every detail of it.

John, Barbara and little John were to come the next day and George helped me cook the whole time before they got here. Between the two of us we had everything finished up and were happy to welcome them by 7:00pm when they arrived. It was a long drive from Vicksburg where they spent Christmas day with Barbara’s family and then came here for a Christmas with us.

Becky and her family came by 8:00am the next morning and the house was full of chatter and laughter. All three kids were here with their families….mom, Warren and I let them have center stage and just sat back and let them do their thing. It’s always a special occasion when all three get together at the same time….and a very special treat for me. It doesn’t happen that often and when it does I catalog every moment.

After a scrumptious meal we had the gift opening and a mountain of paper and boxes in the middle of the living room floor. Jake entertained us diving into the pile and rummaging around….little John followed and we spent time just laughing at the two of them. The boys took mom home later and Becky had to go back to Springfield as she had to work the next day. John and Barb left the following morning for Kansas City to have Christmas there and on the return trip, they stopped in and we took a drive over to Eminence to a gift shop Barbara wanted to visit…..she enjoyed the shop very much and bought several things to take back with her.

They spent New Year’s Eve with us and mom……..but on New Year’s Day they had to load up and head south for New Orleans. It was a wonderful family time for all of us…..and as we waved goodbye we were already planning the next visit. I do believe “the end of one thing is the beginning of another”…..and I have faith it will always be better.

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther