<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Saturday, January 29, 2005

JUST A LITTLE TOO MUCH FUN..... 

After getting home from our little trip to Sikeston yesterday Rocky and I decided to install our new DSL pack. Well……..let me just say this. We were on a trip to nowhere except for dumb luck. It’s like trying to order from a French menu when you don’t speak the language. The terminology used by our son-in-law and then the guy on the “HELP’ line might as well have been Greek. I just know what to do by rote….from what I’ve picked up from John and Becky. Now we were on our own except for the telephone.

We didn’t understand them and they for sure didn’t understand our wordage either. It took quite a while but the nice young man walked me through a jungle of places to click….right or left…….just click. Their tone sounded so rudimentary I felt stupid….well, I guess I am when it comes to computers. The young man’s voice was akin to “talking” a passenger down on the runway after the pilot has suffered a heart attack. His voice was mesmerizing as he traversed where I was from where I needed to be. I was a novice at the control panel of a 707. It felt good. I could see I was going to land the plane and all would be fine.

I felt the wheels touch down and the brakes responded. I was at ground level and I was out of the crisis. I sent my new DSL address to everyone I could think of and when I ran out of names I took a few out of the local phone book. I was so excited I wanted everyone to know I was up and running again after the huge ordeal. I know!! Too many “I’s” but forgive me ……I’m excited.

This morning I decided to put on a blog about our trip to Sikeston on Thursday. It was actually a story in itself. We arrived on time and Rocky drove right to the large Drury Inn sign….made a turn and parked at the entrance. He came back after a few moments, elated because the room was not the $89 he had been told when he called for a reservation……..but….it was only $44. We happily unloaded our van and made ourselves comfy….then called the desk to see if our other family had arrived yet. “No, they hadn’t.”

Surveying the room closer we saw the wall paper was a little wrinkled and torn in places (the light was very dim) and the heating element was damaged. The pieces began falling into place so we decided to call his brother’s cell-phone and see where they were. It had to be another motel. We looked through the luggage for the location of the motel and then for the phone number. We couldn’t find either. By now we weren’t looking at all….we were just digging through our baggage like a couple of squirrels going after a nut. THEN!! The solution came.,…call Becky. She could go down to the house, find the papers I left by the computer, and give us the information.

She wasn’t very happy. She had just pulled into her driveway to run in, change clothes, load her suitcase and head for Kansas City. However, she kept her composure, came to our house, got in………looked….and looked ….and looked. Not in the trash, not at the computer, not in the kitchen…..not….not…..not. We gave it up and wished each other a good trip. She hoped we could find them. Suddenly it dawned on both of us…..maybe this wasn’t the Drury Inn ….it had to be because Rocky turned at the sign. We straightened the room, exited with our stuff and headed for the lobby. We were AT THE WRONG MOTEL!!!! The Drury Inn was at the other side of the parking lot. Duh!!! Yes, we felt stupid …..aren’t all old folks stupid? Rocky retrieved our billing and we drove to the next motel. There sat Marie and Harold and Richard and Helen….looking out the window….looking for us.

Well……..we got checked in, went to dinner and had a great visit back in the motel lounge. I sneaked our sick kitty in to our room by putting her in a basket with a towel over her. In the elevator, a black tail came out from under the towel, swinging from side to side, making noises. That cat….that paralyzed cat…hasn’t moved that much in a year. No one seemed to notice and we got her into our room and comfy for the night. And then people say old folks don’t have any fun. People who say that aren’t old. We know different………..

Today when I proudly sat in front of the monitor to type my blog…..it wouldn’t print. Back to our son-in-law quite a few times….up to Becky’s house twice to get the Word Processor disc and then more phone instructions….from there I followed the wizard and the results are……….what you are reading. I had to get rid of the old before the new would come in…blah.,.blah….but it’s up and running and I don’t know how those little round, flat thingy’s (Ellen’s word) can tell all this machinery what to do…but it did and I’m glad.

Bet you’re wondering about the price of the room. Yes…it was $89 with all the frills. Now as soon as we untangle the room full of wires and “boxes” of power and stuff here at home, everything will be back to normal. Situation normal….all fouled up. Whew!! And that’s the end of that. I know you’re glad. So with no further ado I’ll see you back here on Monday……good Lord willing.

Till then,
Essentially Esther