<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, December 03, 2004

TWENTY TWO DAYS TILL CHRISTMAS.... 

Getting ready for Christmas brings back a lifetime of memories. When I was a little girl we were at uncle Bud and aunt Pearl’s for the Stricklett Christmas dinner. When it was dark and the tree lights were on, aunt Mary gathered all of the little cousins together around the tree. The grown-ups were sitting around the outer edge and aunt Mary, the teacher, had it all organized. We sang songs with the house lights out and the tree lights illuminating the tinsel. It shone like stars in the sky. I remember intently looking at it while we sang and thinking Christmas was the most wonderful time I could think of. I can still visualize my cousins sitting in a circle around the tree with the lights dancing in their eyes.

In those days, late in the 1930’s, children waited for their birthday or Christmas to have any presents. We understood that and it was the rule of anyone’s family I knew. We were never jealous of another receiving gifts on their birthday because we knew when the year was up it would be our turn. We passed through many barren months, waiting for that special day. Christmas was the day we both received presents so it was equally enjoyed.

When I was young, I wore long, tan stockings with a garter belt in the winter time. I hated them because they would bag at the knees after sitting down a few times. I also hated them because I was one of a minority that wore them. My complaints fell on deaf ears because my parents wanted to keep me warm…..I, on the other hand wanted to be like the girls who didn’t wear them. Their redemption came at Christmas time. They held a lot of “stuff” and my brother even borrowed them every year to place for Santa’s visit.

This one year, I decided I would sleep under my stocking. We didn’t have anywhere to hang our stockings so I fastened it to a rocking-chair and slept beneath it on the floor. Perhaps I would wake when Santa came and I could “see” him. I was fast asleep when something hit me in the head….my stocking was so full it couldn’t stay where I had inadequately tied it. I remember reaching out of my covers and feeling the wonderful filled stocking and hugging it to me before I fell back to sleep. It is still one of the most gratifying emotions of my childhood. I knew in the morning I would have apples and oranges….hard candy and nuts to eat and covet the next few days.....

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther