<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

THREE DAYS TILL CHRISTMAS.... 

This evening at 6:35pm my oldest son will celebrate his prior entrance into a strange and wonderful world. He will be officially 54 years old at that time. As all great novels begin….. “Ah, yes….I remember it well.” It’s probably the last thing a mother ever forgets….the birth of each child.

The miracle of it all and watching a child grow should be the most rewarding thing for a mother. I really had no training to be a mother and if I had…I’m sure it would never have followed a pattern, anyway. Being a mother was something that was learned on the job. I sort of grew up with my first child….we are only 18-years apart.

I cut my teeth with George. Just about the time I thought I had it all down “pat” he would change again. This evolving continued through the years. Fortunately for me, Dr. Spock’s book hadn’t come out then or I may have ruined him. I do not agree with his child rearing at all….at the time I might have thought it was great just because some doctor wrote it.

George was an easy kid to raise. He tried hard to live up to the expectations of his parents and grand-parents….he had patience and could stick with things. His patience could border on procrastination at times, so I leaned when to push and when to back off. He made decent grades in school, became an Eagle Scout and our whole family backed the Scout Troop. We believed in keeping our kids in good programs to teach them about teamwork.

George went to college a while and then to the Navy. It was during the Vietnam war and he was away four years….when he came home he went right to work and stayed with the same job over the years since….although the job itself has changed many times and evolved into something else.

He had a great little Westie, named Mac-Dog and we all loved him. George stuck with him through old age and failing health…finally to cancer. It was tough but at the last he had to put Mac to sleep because he was in a lot of pain and was dysfunctional. It took a while but he eventually got another Westie and named him Murphy. Later, a friend asked him to keep a cat for a time so Cheeta has been in the family several years now.

George is a good son, brother, uncle and friend. He is loyal and dependable. He taught me a lot (and still does) ….one of the saddest things for me, as his mother; he just never seems to get the credit he deserves. Somewhere, sometime I believe it will catch up with him and he will finally receive the appreciation due him. I get goose-pimples when I think of my three children and that I was the one picked to be their mom.

So happy birthday George…..we’ll see you Friday and you shall have your special birthday cake. We are looking forward to your visit.

Until tomorrow,
Essentiall Esther