<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Wednesday, December 01, 2004

NOVEMBER AND DECEMBER....1984 

November 6th was the date for the presidential election. Reagan won over Mondale by a landslide. His humor was always enjoyable. When asked if he thought he would be as good a president as he was an actor, he said, “I hope not. Nobody liked my acting, either.” Presidents come and go but the things they say on a personal level reveals so much more than their presidential side. He was fun to observe and I enjoyed the “pot shots” he took at himself. The office is too serious to be taken seriously all of the time, and I find a little humor is a tremendous stress breaker for all of us…..especially out of the mouth of a president.

One of my favorite Abraham Lincoln stories is when he laughed once in the presence of a politician who thought his laughter was uncalled for in the situation. Lincoln looked at him with sorrowful eyes and said, “If I didn’t laugh….I would surely cry.” Sometimes we are laughing through great pain….but laugh we must.

November is the month of serious leaf removal. Before we had a mower with a leaf catcher or a leaf blower it was a “hands on” operation, back-breaking and arm wrenching. But being outside instead of cooped up in a building made it very enjoyable for me. The brisk air, the beautiful sky…….the fall colors were all medicine for cabin fever. I didn’t know how much longer I would work seven days a week……I was beginning to need a change.

December provided the yearly activities….extra choir practice for the cantata, parties at each office where I worked with the DE’s, the Fas-Serv party, several groups of friends we always invited here for dinner and gift exchange; the gathering of my three kiddos if and when they could come. This year, John and Barb came early so they could be in Vicksburg with her family by the 24th. We are always glad to have them….no matter when.

I made a note on the 24th that Peter Lawford, the movie star, died today. He was alone, penniless and a broken man. I shall always think of him as the first time I saw him. He played in “Little Women” and was the handsome suitor of June Allyson who played the part of Jo. I really wanted her to marry Peter Lawford instead of the professor but now that I am older and wiser (hopefully) I can see her choice was correct. “Looks” matter when you are young but when age piles up on you….a compatible mate is mandatory.

I worked December 24th and 25th. Christmas day was very busy…we did over $2200 in six hours. The day zipped by in a hurry….convenience stores are the only place to buy anything on those days because the grocery stores are closed. We ran out of everything edible and at the end of my shift I came home and we had “leftovers” from some of the previous company. I am one who appreciates leftovers….I do not throw them out. Warren used to laugh and say I only cooked one meal after we were married and thereafter we had…..yes, leftovers. Kinda like the one fruitcake that makes the rounds to every house.

George arrived December 28th so we had Christmas several times with different ones. Becky and children were here when their schedule allowed. Of course, mom and aunt Beulah were in and out with all of the dinners and gift giving. On the 29th John and Barb came back from Vicksburg with a new car that Barb’s parents gave them for Christmas. It was a Cavalier and they were understandably thrilled. And so, for a brief time, George, Becky and family, John and Barb, aunt Beulah and mom were all here together and we ate and visited our hearts out. These old walls are still ringing with the conversation, bursts of laughter and gifts of joy that filled our home. No where, no how and no way would I trade all that for anything. It is, after all, the gift of Christmas.

Mom went home with aunt Beulah for an extended visit, John and Barb and George all left for their homes, later calling to let us know they had arrived safe and sound. The food was put away, the beds changed, the Christmas wrap and ribbons all set back and we settled in for a quiet New Year’s Eve. Morris, our cat, curled up in my lap and Jakie, (John’s dog, now ours) curled up at my feet. It had been an eventful year but we were all present and accounted for. With the grief and trouble in the world at the close of 1984 we felt very safe and secure….and loved. Soon a newborn babe would herald in the New Year and a very old and tired man would fade into history. At this magical transition, hope is born anew and our fears and trials go out with Father Time…………….

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther