<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

FOUR DAYS TILL CHRISTMAS....  

I have no idea what is going on with the weather. While the rest of the country is under snow, high winds and miserable cold, we are having a bright sunshiny day with no wind and temps expected to go close to 60*. According to last night’s weather report we are enjoying life between a high from the south and a low from the north. Or was it the other way around….I’ll have to think about that.

It sure makes it hard to think “Christmas” when the delivery guys are wearing shorts and a lot of the mall shoppers yesterday were in shirt sleeves. I wore a Christmas sweat shirt to the gym last night and almost roasted myself on the treadmill. It’s a battle of wits between me and it anyway….and when I’m hurting from an ingrown toenail or dressed too warm it makes it more miserable than usual.

While Becky and John are ‘in’ to their physical stuff, and George, their older brother, too….I cast an evil eye at the gym machines….hoping they’ll burn their little electric cords up one minute into my torture. Now you know. They don’t get that desire from their mom. Mind you…I’m not lazy. I just prefer to get my exercise the natural way a homemaker does….behind the vacuum, laundry, dishes, cooking….all that stuff. Can’t say yard work right now but I get a lot of that in the summer. Now I understand that kind of exercise…it needs to be done. Why would someone in their right mind run their silly legs off on a treadmill or pound the streets? And all that weight training only makes me more sore than I was when I went.

Oh I’ve tried to talk sense in them. But John went ahead and got himself in the Boston Marathon….now he has to even work harder…and Becky…..well, she lost 68-pounds in a year and now has to keep up this idiotic routine to stay that way. George has gone to the gym and worked out for years and years on a regular basis because he used to have a desk job and needed to balance out……now he just thinks it’s what you do three times a week. He’s been brainwashed.

Meanwhile, I’m baking cookies, making candy and enjoying life to the fullest. Or am I the “fullest”?……..my sweet teeth are happy and my kids know I’m a ‘hard sell’……but to make them (and Dr. Powell) happy, I do go and I do walk and I do weight bearing exercises. I just want the right to gripe my head off about it and to hate it to the fullest. I have often said I will do ANYTHING if I can just say “no” first. That works for me.

Weather bulletin: artic air falling southward from Canada….warm air coming up from the Gulf….we’re in for freezing rain, ice, snow….4” to 6” inches. Tomorrow will see a big change from today. Maybe it will snow too deep to go the 25-miles to the gym…….Oh what a pity! Please….do not do any exercising for the next two weeks….just eat, enjoy and kiss all your cares goodbye. I’m allowing myself to do that. I hope you do too. A guilt-free Christmas binge……..YAHOO!!!!

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther